Whooo-hoo! I'm getting bees today! :)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had posted about a month ago about a deal that fell through where an elderly gentleman going out of the beekeeping business didn't want to give me any bees. http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=26673

Well.........turns out he can't get his grandson to come over and help him check his hives, so he changed his mind about giving me a hive to get started in beekeeping. I am so excited! I am picking them up tonight!

I told him too, if he wants, I'll come help him check his hives when the gear I ordered comes in. :D

Bees for me!
:bee :bee :bee :bee :bee :bee :bee :bee :bee :bee

homestead holdout

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
NICE!!!! I'm jealous. I just read Novella Carpenter - Farm City... Her story of having a garden, bees, chickens, turkeys and even pigs in a small city lot! Anyhow, I read the Bee part over and over, I want to do that too!! I sure hope you post here alot as your adventure unfolds! :bee :thumbsup :woot

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good for you!

That would be nice to help him.
I think he needs to have Bees and your help would be great for him.
Good luck, looking forward to pics.

:bee :thumbsup

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I am so glad it is working out for you!!!! I just started beekeeping this year, and I find it to be absolutely magical. Those bees are the most amazing creatures! I firmly believe my garden was twice as wonderful because of their hard work! You are really going to enjoy this!! Congrats!

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Beekeeping is so cool! My DH works with the bees, and we're in our second year. We got nearly 4 gallons of honey this year. And they're just cool to watch, anyway. :cool:

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yea for you!!
i am so trying to convince my husband that bees are the answer .. this is why i am so bad at gardening .. hes so not falling for it ..
great for you for sticking with it and how exciting a new toy..
i would love to learn more ..

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Congratulations!! I keep bees as well and I really love it!
Just be careful to inspect well, this is the off season to start up with bees and you will want to make sure they are all set for winter.
If he is having trouble managing his hives they may not be in the best condition to get through winter.
You will want to make sure they do not have heavy mite loads, beetles or wax moths and then make sure they have plenty of food stores.
I am not saying any of this to discourage you or put a damper on things, I just want you to be able to get them to overwinter well.
Alot of people lose their hives during the winter, even hives that seemed perfect so I just thought I would throw that out there for you.
Best of luck! I am really happy for you. You will be obsessed with them, they are addicting little things. :)

Latest posts