Who's Who of Owls

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That was an important food for "my owls" - pigeons. Well, the Collared Dove.

Those things are invasives. They got their start in the Bahamas, was it (?), and have now gone completely across the U.S. We will see how far north they will go. The owls ate 'em.

I've seen Sawwhet Owls in city trees. Of course, the hawks are right down on the city streets eating pigeons. The invasive doves are turning up in city neighborhoods here!

Of course, those doves look like your regular city pigeons. There are native Mourning Doves but I don't find those hard to distinguish. However, I can understand how folks might mistake the little Accipiter hawks for pigeons. One of those had a meal of starling in my backyard the other day ...

Steve

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll have to sneak out there w/my camera to get a picture of the pigeons. Never seen an owl in real life, see all sorts of hawks all the time, though. Most common would be the red shouldered hawk.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
During the summer, I have an owl in my woods. I hear it, but I've never seen it. I have seen owl pellets around.

One year BFF and I saw a snowy owl. It is a rather rare sighting here.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
One time driving up to our cabin at dusk there was a white owl that just swooped on by the passenger's side where I was. It was quick and unbelievable.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I related this somewhere else on the forum, but we had a pygmy owl smack the sliding glass door one day. We brought him inside in a bird cage until he recovered and then turned him loose. For such a tiny thing he was pretty intimidating if we got too close to the cage.

Latest posts