Wide Row Planting

RIrs

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Okk so I will just put them away from each other and do full sun for them.

Thanks for the help,
RIrs

kyle

Leafing Out
Reaction score
How are you watering? I do wide row planting. Right now setting the new rows at about 5' wide. we use flooding in the trenches as means of watering. we cover our rows in black fabric, which lasts years, to keep weeds down. we use the trenches as walkways, and is also the only spots where there are weeds, and also the holes your crops stick out a tthe beginning.

certain combos dont work, like the tomato/corn. Corn can be a little shaded, but we see HUGE slow down in growth if shaded.

for rows, make sure you run tehm west-east, so they face the south. then plant the tallest at teh back. i always plant eitehr climber beans or corn at the back as they get the tallest. then in front use tomatoes (pick a variety that doenst keep growing...i think the term is discriminate...not sure.)

in front of them are often egg plant/pepper type things that will be mixed with ground beans or various squash. things like onions/greens and short stuff are placed at the front. this way you have a gradual incline, like a ramp, so all plants can get some direct sun at least at their tops.

with crop rotation i place all i grow into categories on height. so things like beans, peas, corn, and sometimes tomato/cucumber (if short stuff is being planted in front of them) will go at the back as they can grow up to get light. If your next rows are also tallish things like pepper or eggplant, i wouldnt plant tomato/cucumber behind them.

i try and rotate between at least 3 families each time, avoiding the previous 2 families...or more if possible.

may not be a perfect system, but works well. we also have a LOT of water here, so its not a concern using trenches as watering means. i know this is not feasible for some areas.

Latest posts