Will the cosmos ever bloom?

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm sure I am not the only one who gets those mailings about testing gardening equipment, that always come with a packet of cosmos flower seed and a packet of fertilizer pellets.

I started some on April 3 and put them out in the garden. They're huge and healthy looking, even in this awful heat and no rain, but no flowers!

-Wendy

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
. . . too much nitrogen fertilizer, Wendy?

I did that with the Cosmos bipinnatus one year. They finally got a half-dozen blooms on the HUGE plants . . . just before the mildew wrecked the flowers and the frosts arrived :rolleyes:.

After that, I decided not to give them any fertilizer at all, just grow them where something else was fertilized the year before. Oh and, they are among those that I will spray with a fungicide.

Steve

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No fertilizer. And I doubt the soil is anything special. I guess I just have to wait a while longer!

The bachelors buttons were the same way, just kept getting taller and taller and then *finally* flowered.

-Wendy

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Threaten them, Wendy!

Maybe even some well-place, #8 bird shot from the 12 gauge . . .

You have to be willing to follow thru, whatever course you take.

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Threaten them, Wendy!

Maybe even some well-place, #8 bird shot from the 12 gauge . . .

You have to be willing to follow thru, whatever course you take.

Steve
:lol:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd slap them around a little. There's not much excuse for not getting with the program. Point out in your most serious voice that the nice ferny foliage would look good in a vase with other flowers! Don't let 'em shrug it off!

You know, about the most productive plant I ever saw was a Western Hemlock tree on the summit of a North Idaho hill. Lightening had peeled a 6" to 12" strip of bark from the crown of that tree to the ground. Branches had flown off that side and were yards away!

That hemlock had cones from top to bottom! The tree is probably still up there, reproducing madly!!

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I know it doesn't help, but last year my cosmos didn't bloom until they were literally 6 ft tall!!! :th

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Those are awfully healthy looking plants, Wendy, I think that's fairly rich soil you've got them in - they'll bloom, most likely, after the solstice. I've found that to be true with many annuals, particularly Cosmos, Morning Glories and Moonflowers. Zinnias, soo, but not so much.

See that 'thickening' of the growth at the tips? I think they're getting ready to bud up. There's hope yet!

Latest posts