Wonder Where I Can Get A Penguin-Chicken

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Wonder if it lays eggs? Perhaps it's posture is due to an early injury.

Reminds me of the strangest animal my husband and I ever saw. We were driving off the coast of S.C., in need of facilities, with no gas station in sight. So we took a dirt driveway leading to an old unused Geechee churchyard. We rounded a curve to spot, only for a second, an animal totally unfamiliar to either of us, despite all the National Geographic Specials we both watched as children. Best I can recall, it was sort of like a mutated cross between a deer and a kangaroo, with lop ears and and a propped up posture. Seemed to belong with Alice, in Wonderland. But I don't remember falling through a rabbithole or looking glass.As our van approached, it awkwardly lumbered off into the palmettos and pines. By the time we could say, "What on earth was that?", it was gone, to be seen nevermore, by us anyway. Over the 15 or so years that have passed since then, our memories grow fuzzier, with both of us remembering the creature a bit differently. We hesitate to tell people this story, especially when we tell them that we were on our way back from a Carolina Exotic Mushroom Association meeting (no, I only grew shiitake, no cow pasture 'shrums), but I suppose if others have seen stinkapes, Loch Ness monsters, and aliens, there must be other undiscovered animals out there, somewhere. Or maybe some of you coastal South Carolinians will tell me that you see these beasties all the time.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's odd, obviously some sort of significant malformation, reminds me a *whole* lot of runner ducks. I wonder if by any chance it could be a chicken version of whatever anatomical/genetic features cause runner ducks to be like that?

(elf, you sure you didn't see a loose goat up on its hindlegs browsing higher branches or the tops of grasses?)

Pat

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
No, no; tall and fairly large. Had movement more like an awkward slow rabbit or kangaroo.All I saw was one or two sort of lumbering hop(s), and then it was hidden by undergrowth. Allover tan. Closest animal I could compare to is like front half of a deer with long lop ears, and back half pushed down like a kangaroo. Possibly a deer born malformed who learned to adapt. Or maybe a wallaby. Not sure what those look like. But in South Carolina. Very strange.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Could have been a kangaroo afterall! We had one running loose around here for years, escaped from a petting zoo. :p

elijahboy

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
no i have lived in south caorlina for 32 of my 34 years and never seen anything like this

elf said:

Reminds me of the strangest animal my husband and I ever saw. We were driving off the coast of S.C., in need of facilities, with no gas station in sight. So we took a dirt driveway leading to an old unused Geechee churchyard. We rounded a curve to spot, only for a second, an animal totally unfamiliar to either of us, despite all the National Geographic Specials we both watched as children. Best I can recall, it was sort of like a mutated cross between a deer and a kangaroo, with lop ears and and a propped up posture. Seemed to belong with Alice, in Wonderland. But I don't remember falling through a rabbithole or looking glass.As our van approached, it awkwardly lumbered off into the palmettos and pines. By the time we could say, "What on earth was that?", it was gone, to be seen nevermore, by us anyway. Over the 15 or so years that have passed since then, our memories grow fuzzier, with both of us remembering the creature a bit differently. We hesitate to tell people this story, especially when we tell them that we were on our way back from a Carolina Exotic Mushroom Association meeting (no, I only grew shiitake, no cow pasture 'shrums), but I suppose if others have seen stinkapes, Loch Ness monsters, and aliens, there must be other undiscovered animals out there, somewhere. Or maybe some of you coastal South Carolinians will tell me that you see these beasties all the time.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
elf said:

I can assure you I've seen no such thing! I'm at the beach a few weekends a year from here to mytrle beach... and that is definitely not something I had EVER seen. :th

...and I'm still in awe over the chicken!!! :hu

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
journey11 said:
Could have been a kangaroo afterall! We had one running loose around here for years, escaped from a petting zoo. :p
Thought, well maybe so; but googled pics, and neither kangaroos nor wallabies show lopped ears.

newchickmom09

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
What a crazy looking chicken. It would be nice to find out if it was an injury or a defect.