~ WORLDWIDE Vegetable Allotments ~ REVIVAL of last years thread ~

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow

Hey boggyb,
Glad to see you back :)
The articles are very interesting!

I agree with you & Lesa. Earlier this year ,after our very long & cold winter I had problems with rats but none of them ever infested my compost piles (nor harmed my chickens). Thankfully I managed to poison them. I now keep a very careful watch out for any new signs.

Hattie

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Earlier this year ,after our very long & cold winter
:gig
I am from Northern Wisconsin. You have no idea how much that statement is cracking me up.

aftermath-of-a-winter.jpg

...amd now you know why I moved to Colorado :D

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: ;) :lol: :lol:

Well it was the worst winter here for about 30 years & around me we had 2.5 ft of snow for weeks on end. Of course it doesn't rival the conditions in huge areas of North America but I can only comment on how our weather affects me.
Actually your photo wifey looks pretty much like the views I had outside my windows at the time.......!!! :plbb :lol:

:) Hattie :)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, boggy- hard to know what to say about that!! People sure seem to have an unnatural interest in what goes on, in others bedrooms!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow :frow

Welcome back everyone! :)

I thought this new blog might interest you as it shows a little of the strain our economy over here in the UK is under.
There has been a huge rise in the number of requests for allotments across the whole of the country because of the rise of prices in the supermarkets. Now the local councils who rent out these spaces (except in a few cases) have seen this is a way they can make more money. They are nearly all upping their rents which is worrying their renters. A lot of them are people on tiny pensions (although they will still get it at a smaller fee) or people who have lost their jobs.

There is a lot of info on this blog about the situation around the country. It is to be found in the February 2011 posts. But the rest of the blog is interesting too; it is based in Scotland.

http://malsallotment.blogspot.com/

I wish you all a very happy gardening season.....I think we are going to have an early Spring in my part of southern England........:celebrate

:tools Hattie :tools

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A certain groundhog said we were getting an early spring. So naturally today it is only 9F and tonight's low is forecast to be -12.

Brrrrrrrrr!

Economic conditions aren't getting any better here either. Allotments aren't as well knows or popular in smaller towns, but some of the local churches are opening up unused land to garden plots.

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My in-laws in Germany have allotment gardens. I drive them all crazy by photographing EVERYTHING in sight when I visit. I find them fascinating, so individual, so inventive.