Would you eat them?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Potatoes do absorb flavors and stuff. I always put a small potato in with my turnips when I cook them because they absorb any bitterness. Or if you over-salted your soup, toss a potato in and it will absorb some of the extra salt. I would think they would absorb the odor from the rotting vegetation. Now for finished compost, I have grown watermelons and cantaloupes on the spot before and they did great.

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've eaten potatoes that grew in my compost. Every year some sprout out, right now there are four plants that popped up. They taste like potatoes. They have never had any off flavor to them. :hu

Last edited:

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would wash one and try it, if it is good I would eat the rest. :hu love me some taters. :D

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wash them real good, peel them and boil. If you have a problem "seeing" where they grew, close your eyes. LOL

I caught one of my hens eating a small snake. It took a very long time before I ate any eggs from her.

Really? That is sooooo funny!!! :lol: Did you think a snake would fall out of her egg if you cracked it open? hahaha. I have small brown grass snakes here. When I find one, I carefully relocate it, they eat bugs and I don't want them to be chicken food.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I vote for wash and eat... I hate to think where the grocery store potatoes have been and how many hands have touched them- at least you know exactly where yours have been!

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Have you actually taken a look at the spuds first hand yet? Nice healthy looking green growth at the surface, doesn't always mean an equally good spud..
I have pulled a few volunteers from out of my compost, and often they are not to appetizing looking..Wire worms, and other bugs seem to enjoy munching on them.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hmmmm, I am growing potatos in "goat bedding" mostly staw, but... they seem to be producing.
12 15 2013  Potato Bed 02 email.JPG

Sorry the sun was comming up. I just kept adding more goat bedding as the vines got taller. I plan to harvest the "bed" soon and see if I have many potatoes. I used a few out of there last week... they were pretty small.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh @rebbetzin I do love your compost bin!!! I would have to find a doll and position it hanging over the end of the crib like a baby standing on the mattress!

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh @rebbetzin I do love your compost bin!!! I would have to find a doll and position it hanging over the end of the crib like a baby standing on the mattress!

Thank you baymule! But that isn't my compost bin, it is my "Potato Crib"
That is a great idea putting a doll in there! Too bad I don't have my old "timeout" baby anymore... she would have worked perfectly!!

you can see the timeout baby if you scroll down on this thread.
http://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/poor-tree-stump-had-to-go-pix.2004/

And here is a photo of my compost bins, made from FREE pallets!!
5 1 2014 Compost Pile  email.JPG

I cover the piles with black plastic to help them "cook" better. I rotate the compost from one side to the other every two weeks or so.

Latest posts