YAAY! New potatos

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My potato plants have bloomed and are setting seed pods so I grabbed around the base of them to see what I could find. What I found was a slew of new potatos. Can't wait to roast a few with olive oil, rosemary and garlic.

missourigirl11

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:clap Yay!
We have yet to plant our potatoes. Gonna be a really late start, if we decide to plant any.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Spread them one layer thick and use a really hot oven (about 450 degrees) That way the skins get crunchy before the centers are overdone.
I really like the new potatos. Mature potatos I can buy in the market but new potatos have to be fresh out of the ground for the best taste. The ones you buy in the store just don't make the grade.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine haven't started blooming yet.....but I dug up a couple of plants this evening. The potatoes were small, but sooooooo good!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
baymule said:
Mine haven't started blooming yet.....but I dug up a couple of plants this evening. The potatoes were small, but sooooooo good!
Don't waste the plants by digging them up. Just learn to "grabble" them. Start a little farther out than you expect to find them and, usuing your hands if the soil is soft enough, otherwise loosen it with a trowel feel through the soil till you find the new ones. The plant will make more to replace the ones you grabbled.You might damage a few if you have to use a trowel but they'll still be edible.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I haven't even planted my potatoes yet. I'm so far behind this year :(

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Loe the grabble idea. Will tell DH about it. :) Or pototoes went in Easter weekend. COLD. Has been cold and wet. Not seeing anything yet. Soon. Asparagus just started to peek out this week. :)