Yellow crook necked squash recipes?

countrygirl4513

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Anyone got any good recipes? This is my first year growing squash. I'm looking for simple and quick recipes for them.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I imagine this thread will be moved.

Crooknecks are versatile. From stir fries, to fried, like green tomatoes. Use in a lot of the applications you'd use zuchinni in, and cooked in most mixed vegetable dishes. :)

bayouchica

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have one,but not an exact measurement recipe just a dump & toss kind,lol.

I always use a dutch oven to cook mine in this way. Cook several slices of bacon in the DO
Leave the bacon grease in the DO
take 6 or more sliced squash ( they will cook down)
Lots of onions sliced
add very little water
Salt & pepper
Cook until tender
Crumble up the bacon in the squash,very tastey :p

I learned that from watching my mother,she was from Cajun country, that woman could cook.
Enjoy, Miriam

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
my mom has used it half and half with pumpkin for a great pie but I know people who use it on its own

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Slice lengthwise, splash with olive oil, salt. pepper, granulated garlic and then grill on a hot grill. Maybe put a little paprika on for color. Serve as a side to grilled burbers. Wonderfull. I am checking my squash every day just waiting for them to get large enough. YumYum

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
How bout slumgullion?

Iron skillet, squash, green tomatoes, red tomatoes, green peppers, sweet banana peppers, hot banana peppers (optional, of course), onions, sweet corn, season to taste. Cook until bubbling, add corn meal for thickener(again, the thickness is personal choice), let simmer about 5 more minutes, turn off heat and serve by itself, over fried or mashed potatoes, over biscuits, over rice or over pasta. This is my most favorite summer dish!

Fried squash:

Slice, dip into flour/corn meal mix, fry in vegetable oil, season to taste. Don't overcook or will be too mushy, cooks very quickly! I know this sounds kind of gross, but someone made me try it and I'm a believer>>>>>>fried squash and peanut butter sandwiches are the bomb!!! :D

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My late aunt has a self-published cookbook with about 7 or 8 recipes in it. I've only tried one of them, and that one doesn't have exact measurements, unfortunately, but is easy enough to wing it.

Summer Squash Casserole

Simmer sliced summer squash with onion in a little water. Drain and mash. Add 1 cup grated cheese, 1 beaten egg, 1 cup bread crumbs, 2 tbsp milk, salt/pepper to taste, and a lump of butter. Put in a buttered casserole and bake at 350* until bubbly and browned a little on the top.

There are also recipes for Summer Squash with bacon and onion, Chili and Squash Casserole (no measurements - uses chili, corn bread dressing, mush soup, cheese), Summer Squash Casserole (with canned soup, sour cream, carrots and stuffing mix), Rice and Squash Casserole (rice, green chilis, cheese, etc), Summer Vegetables (tomatoes, zukes, yellow squash, and herbs), Vegetable Saute (with onion, chili, corn, stewed tomatoes) and Fried Zucchini.

Let me know if you are interested in any of those.

Reaction score
Hi! I LOVE yellow crookneck squash (must be crookneck).
I'd fight someone for a platter of fried squash right now :) Hubby can't have fried food so I haven't had any this year either :(
I've had squash nearly every night for the last 2 weeks --- sliced and baked with sweet onions mostly. Then I discovered that roasting them whole or halved (and just sprinkled with s & p) is heavenly.

Mine need picking again today :)
Lisa

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Go to cooks.com they have alot of squash recipes there. The squash pie is fantastic.

Latest posts