#1 diet, according to US News

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
. . . is the DASH diet.

DASH ranked best overall diet

Here is information from their website: http://dashdiet.org

The original idea behind the diet was to "lower blood pressure." Research was sponsored by the National Institutes of Health. It wasn't a weight-loss plan, as such. Still, US News (which ranks everything from universities to diets ;)) says it is the best healthy eating diet overall.

Notice that the diet guidelines are for 8 to 10 servings of fruits and vegetables on 2000 calories each day. Okay? Now, that's a lot of fruits & veggies compared to the average American's daily 2 to 3 servings combined! BIG difference!!

I'm on a MORE plan . . . I have 3 pieces of fruit for breakfast - and, a little cereal or toast. It isn't so tuff ;). Remember: One serving equals: about one medium fruit or cup fruit juice. My cereal bowl this morning had a banana on the bottom and a banana on top, of some Mini-wheats :). The orange and Bartlett pear came later with coffee.

I made the little joke to DW & DD (who was over) that my shepherd's pie last night was from a shepherd without any sheep . . . There were 2 beef sausages cut up real thin in the whole 2qt casserole! I think I need another name for it when it's made like that ;)!

Steve :D

Here is some more on the diet with menu ideas: An Apple a Day, the DASH diet

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought I'd put another mile on this . . . :)

"Of the 25 diets evaluated, the five Easiest Diets to Follow are: Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Mediterranean Diet, and tied for fourth -- Slim-Fast and Volumetrics," according to US News and their panel of 22 nationally recognized experts in diet and nutrition.

These other outfits do a great job of promoting their products. You can watch the infomercials day & night on teevee. So, let me just say something about the Mediterranean Diet. I was so happy to come across that several years ago. Gave me all sorts of ideas about how to make good use of garden veggies! I mean, I know fairly well what the "American diet" amounted to. What were the folks in these other cultures eating??

The Mediterranean Diet is based on a study that involved 1,000's of people and began in 1958. The study primarily looked at questions on cardiovascular health and how that related to diet. These days (yes, it is continuing), the coordination of the study is shared between the University of Minnesota and the National Institute of Public Health in The Netherlands.

Here's more information on the diet from the University of Minnesota (click). There is a "Sample Menu" in the sidebar :).

Steve