1 or 2 Healthful Changes to Your Diet

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just got back from a work trip where I ate so much CRAP, and now I'm re-committing (for I'm sure the zillionth time) to getting back into my GF/DF diet. I really feel much better when I eat little to no gluten & dairy. We also just today took out a big fat construction loan for our new house, and DH said to me that we need to quit eating out so we can pay off the loan. :D My biggest tip is focusing on fruits and veggies FIRST, and then the "main dish" second. Today, I'm going to plan out my breakfasts, lunches, and dinners for a whole week and go grocery shopping tonight. I've found that when I have a plan, it is MUCH easier to stick to it.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I discovered kale! Who knew, after all these years. I'm putting it into my chicken soup and spaghetti. I even blanched and froze some from my last fall crop. This year I planted double the plants, 12. I'm starting to replace the swiss chard. I'm tired of dealing with leaf miner and giving it to the chickens.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kale? I have collards-envy!

http://q.equinox.com/articles/2013/05/collard-greens

Really, I don't know much about collards. They are all related, altho' my Scotch kale doesn't look like cabbage to me - collards and kale are the same species as cabbage. Russian kale is supposed to be something a little different but the pictures of it sure aren't very appetizing. I could just be familiarity, and all that.

"Dinosaur kale" will be my something-new-to-try this year. I know I've already been whining on here about having forgotten to order Portuguese kale, Tronchuda Beira. It really turned out to have been a good idea to have gotten it before, even with Scotch kale by the boatload! If you like these kinds of soups - it's great!

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
After my heart operation I have less appetite for meat, although I still eat some. Before that I had to have meat at every meal.Now the main part of my meals is whatever is ready in the garden. Lately I am so overwhelmed with beets thart I'm peeing red. :lol:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not all that funny. The first time I fed my grandson beets I mentioned it to my son to avoid freaking out when the poop came out reddish. He 'forgot' to mention it to his DW until she called him in alarm that their son had blood in his bowels. Yup! I love beets, but ya gotta be aware of side effects.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Beets have all sorts of good things going for them. They are full of anti-oxidants, help keep cholesterol and blood sugar levels under control and provide fiber.

Latest posts