10 Organic Farming Trends That Can Make Your Life Better.....

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Agree w/first point, budget for organic. It costs more to grow so therefore have to pay more, it's only fair.

2 points that point out the lack of truthfullness to this article--is that PC enuf?

1) He states that organic outperforms GMO crops, so since seed is free, no chemicals, usage of manure, and better performance, it should be WAY CHEAPER! See his first point.

2) Monsanto is NOT paying $20/acre for a farmer to use someone elses chemicals. That is just a blatant lie and he should be sued for liable. Is there no honesty in the commercial organic industry? They use GMO corn, soybeans in their animal rations but hide it-should say try as those of us in AG KNOW where their corn/beans come from. They also use injectable chemicals in their animals.

Organic movement must be desperate to go to such extreme lies that are easily verified to be lies. The sad truth is organic has a story, has a following, just tell the truth. If GMO's cause all this cancer, those of us unwilling to pay for organic will all die of cancer and those of you eating only organic will live thus inheriting the earth till Jesus comes back.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very interesting read, I see both sides of this. both mom and dads parents were farmers. It is hard to make a farm pay these days without using the latest practices. There is a demand for food that is inexpensive and widely available. It would be nice if the trend of GMO was aimed more at healthier food instead of mass production. But demand drives the market, most folks cannot afford to pay more for a more healthy, but less available food.
There are many gray areas in the the organic arena also. I have read articles from different websites and magazines, that all vary somewhat on what the definition of organic is. I ask freinds and family members what organic means many of them dont have a clue what I am talking about. The few that do all have different ideas what it means. I have been reading up on the locavore movement some and am thinking of joining it, as much as I can. That is the main reason why I am going to start gardening more for food than plants and flowers. It is getting harder to trust These bloated pass the buck beurocracys that dont have a clue what they are supposed to be doing or how to do it. They just cannot be trusted with our food supply. This debate will only get bigger as time passes, and the news keeps reporting food born illness outbreaks that seem to be more frequent every year.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
First I'm not surprised Seedcorn is screaming 'lies'. Do you have access to Monsanto's books? Can we put Monsanto on any higher of a pedestal?

Secondly, I still see organic is being cheaper over the long run... just imagine how much you will save on medical bills by not putting chemicals in your body. The extra cost for the food out weighs the cost of meds and hospital visits when they stuff eventually makes us glow like a green lantern in the dark.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If nothing else look at the money you save. If you grow your own and even if you bought new seed packets every year your still getting many fruits for pennies on the dollar.

Then if you can, make jelly/jam or freeze you've got food that much longer. Again for pennies on the dollar. So even if you don't look at it from a medical aspect, look at what you get for your dollar put into it.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
By definition organic poultry feed can not contain gmo corn or soy.
Understand the definition but see every day the reality of "organic" feed. There isn't enough organic corn raised in USA to feed one species of "organic" animal. Here in Indiana organic corn yields must be over 20000 bu/acre. ;) Interesting that no one in organic movement can do the math or even ASKS where the corn comes from. Don't ask, don't tell.

Those of us eating American Agriculture products are still waiting to glow in the dark.

So since some of you believe Monsanto is evil that allows others to tell lies, cheat, steal, or anything else evil because "MONSANTO MADE ME".....too funny.

freemotion

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
You won't glow in the dark. You will quietly have a quadruple bypass or one of many types of cancer or diabetes or any of the other common lifestyle diseases. If you glowed, it would certainly get more attention. The damage comes later, and then it is blamed on saturated fat....which is hogwash. Pun intended.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
freemotion said:
You won't glow in the dark. You will quietly have a quadruple bypass or one of many types of cancer or diabetes or any of the other common lifestyle diseases. If you glowed, it would certainly get more attention. The damage comes later, and then it is blamed on saturated fat....which is hogwash. Pun intended.
Family members died from saturated fats long before GMO's were even a thought. Guess your family doesn't have heart disease or ulcers in it. Please don't tell me fats (either saturated or unsaturated) won't tear up an ulcer as I'm in the position to tell you it does.

Latest posts