$145 for 16+ dinner meals? Yes please!

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So, today my best friend goes it for a c-section for her first child. She's breech and they didn't want to chance having to have an emergency c-section trying to turn her, and it works out better for her type-a personality anyways. :lol: I decided as a "welcome home" present that I would cook them 7 dinners so they didn't have to worry about cooking in that first week. She's not going to feel like it, and he can't boil water even tho he's a cook at Outback. :lol:

So anyways! I spent all day yesterday grocery shopping and cooking. I spent exactly $143.18 on everything, which I added some household stuff as well so it's not ENTIRELY accurate, but really close. That made 7 meals for them, which I'm sure will have leftovers, (I bought toss away containers for all of their stuff and some of mine) and currently I'm sitting on 10+ meals for us! Well... really 9+, we had one of the meals last night because I didn't feel like cooking any more! BUT!! I haven't bagged up all the chili that I made or finished all the eggplant parm, so, there will be more! Here's what I made, and how much it made

Taco Pasta- 3 meals
Chicken & black bean chili- 2+ meals
Meatloaf- 3 meals
BBQ chicken- 2 meals
Shepards pie- 2 meals
Eggplant Parm- 2+ meals
Chicken stuffing casserole- 2 meals

There are 2 of them, and they got roughly the same portions that we did, so they are going to have leftovers, which was the plan. I even included a small container of mashed potatoes to go with their meatloaf! Most everything has veggies already in it, and the only thing that wasn't homemade that I COULD have made was the cream of mushroom soup. I figured with an entire day of cooking ahead of me, I would cheat just this once. ;) The meatloaf made one smaller sized meatloaf and 2 COMPLETELY FULL bread pans for our family. I guess I COULD have been nice and made them a bunch of pancakes and whatnot.. but they both love cereal in the morning... so.. I'll give them that. :D

***ETA
I COULD have gotten better prices on some of the stuff if I had gone to the commissary, but I was already at Walmart picking up the packaging stuff anyways, so, I just shopped there, but had to go to my local grocery to get the eggplant.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow! That was a lot of cooking! I can't think of a better gift, in the whole world! They will surely appreciate that! Where can we put in our orders??

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LOL!! The people at my church say things like that all the time. I took fresh blueberry muffins in for our Pastor one day and I got a text later of "OH MY GOODNESS!! These are Heaven!" :lol:

I figured that since I knew what it was like to be a new mom, and everybody else had gotten her stuff for the baby, that I would give them something that they wouldn't have a lot of after Kaylen was born... time. (I got her other stuff as well. An ADORABLE little red dress, and a book with 500 ways to bond with baby) It was a lot of cooking, but, it does save me time in the long run. I can just pull something out of the freezer and pop it in the oven. I wrote all of the instructions on the outside so even her hubby could follow the directions :p

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
*** Update

The chicken & blackbean chili made 4 4 cup bags.

Still finishing the eggplant tho.

So, that means that it has made 18 meals so far which brings the price per meal per person is $1.33. Of course... that will come down once I get how many meals the eggplant will make!

Latest posts