1st Seed Order, Here I Go!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
well, i have already ordered twice from Baker's Creek, and once from my favorite heirloom seed supplier in Ohio. so i should be set on seeds for some time now.

i did take most of my seed, plant and gardening catalogs down with me last night to the rehab hospital that my husband has been placed into. i figure there have to be some gardeners that would like stuff when they are doing their therapy after they go home at the end of their stay! :p after talking with a few nurses and therapists i found they were really happy to get them so they could start planing their spring and summer therapies around the garden space that has been covered over with snow!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
More power to you, Bay'.

:cool:

What I am most concerned about are the squash & pumpkins out in the horse pasture. Dang rodents can be death on those things. Have you ever eaten the growing tips of the vines? Their flavor is like winter squash.

Steve
If they make and I get a harvest, great! If all goes wrong, (shrugs) then oh well, try again. As far as rodents, there are several hawks that work that patch of grass and woods. My concern would be the big 4-legged "big" rodents that gather around a tree and strip the bark off when the sap is moving like a bunch of thousand pound beavers with fluffy tails. :lol:

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm not really trying anything different in the veg garden this year - sticking to the tried and true. However, I am buying a lot of herb and flower seeds. I bought a couple packets of Bee Balm, but in all my research I never read that this doesn't do well in hot humid weather - then I came across an article that said it won't do well!!! :( Well Louisiana is nothing but hot and humid in the summer. :rolleyes:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
A post mentioning "herb and flower seed" makes me think about "The Fragrant Path" (link) at this time of year. I don't know if they would have information on heat & humidity, Joan. What they do have is lots of common and lots of uncommon seed. Many of the flowers aren't what you could expect to find in a landscape except one tended by a very knowledgeable gardener. Oh, and they have very good prices.

If you go to the website, it is best to have some idea of what you are looking for, upon arrival. Things are arranged by scientific name, for the most part. You can spend hours going thru a list and there also aren't that many pictures to help with identification.

If you've got an idea, it may be best to start with Wikipedia to get the species name. Just that first capitalized . . . okay, I guess it is the "genus" name . . . Like "Ocimum" for basil and then you will have a nice list of basil varieties & species to choose from. The Fragrant Path search also recognizes common names but the list, as I say, is by Antirrhinum . . . Ocimum . . . Viola . . . etc. etc. Actually, a pretty good search tool.

Steve

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good idea Steve. thanks for that link - I'm going to dig into that one! Oh, edited to tell you, I have a book by Madalene Hill & Gwen Barclay, "Southern Herb Growing" this books is what I have gone by to order. they have grown all the herbs in this book and they tell you the one's that have done best and those not to fool with.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am copying several people here. I am going to order the Kerr's Pink potatoes, Purple Majesty potatoes. The Fireworks tomato looks interesting. I have not grown garden peas for years and I bought Little Marvel and I am going to order Tall Telephone Garden Pea. I think it was Baymule and the story about the Long Beans Thai #3 that got me to order some of those seeds. I planted Purple pole beans last year and Rattlesnake pole beans. I will plant those again. I planted Trofeo bush beans from Gurneys last year and I liked those a lot, so I am planting them again. I am planting Arugula for the first time. I read Arugula was really good for you and for the rabbits. I have been buying some at the grocery store to try out. I am going to plant Beet Mangel Yellow Cylindrical and Mammoth Red Mangels for the rabbits and some for us to eat. I bought pepper Albino Bullnose from Baker Creek and Ruby Wallace's Old Time White Cucumber for the first time.

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I need to get on the STICK!
I NEED to get peas in the ground soon. Now. Yesterday.
I have a stack of catalogs sitting here, none even opened yet.
What's the problem, you say?!
Good question. :)

GreenShoes

Sprout
Reaction score
I'd love to try the one that's on the cover of the Burpee 2013 catalog called Super Sauce. It's huge. Burpee is expensive to order from so I hope they have it in the displays at local stores.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes but, GreenShoes . .

. is that tomato variety .

. . savored with history?

;) Steve
Welcome to The Easy Garden :frow

Latest posts