2 Mulberry Seedlings Looking Good

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wanted some wild mulberry trees, because of their rapid growth. I wanted them for their leaves not berries. A member said he tried transplanting several and always failed advised to try seeds. I never have patience for seeds. Red sent me a large number of mulberry seedlings, enough that I was able to experiment with them. I tried all kinds of planting medium from all sand to all compost. 2 of the biggest seedlings I planted in bagged soil for containers, I place them in a bird bath to soak up water. I ended up forgetting about the ones in bird bath. Most seedlings wilted and died. The 2 that where always wet look nice and healthy. going to give a few more weeks in birdbath then plant in orchard.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really don't understand your impatience with seeds. The way last year's dropped fruit are growing in the turn-around they should be no problem growing where you want them.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Off topic a bit but I harvested about a half gallon of mulberries today, first mulberry harvest of the season. I can see mulberry jelly in the future. It's one of my favorites.

I've started hickory, crabapple, and walnut from seeds. I generally never let them dry out totally, soak them, then freeze them, then plant them in the ground where I want them to grow. Germination rate isn't always great but with enough seeds something happens. I did get 8 out of 8 from the walnuts, harvested from a neighbor's tree.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridgerunner I am a big fan of mulberry and have a few named varites. I read the only reason not more popular is because the berries don't ship well. These Red sent me I am growing for rabbit food. mulberry leaves have the highest amount of protein then any other leaf ( silk worms know the deal )

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
The only tree I have is an Illinois Everbearing I got from Stark Brothers in 2008. It bears profusely for about six weeks each summer. I'll probably harvest a couple of gallons, enough for jelly plus some extra juice for a mixed fruit jelly. The berry is extremely soft and juicy, it would not ship well at all. They stain really badly too. I have to be careful in the kitchen with them to not stain the counter. My wife would not be happy! The good part is that I usually only have to wash dishes once to get the stain off my fingers.

The tree is in the electric netting for chickens area. When I let the chickens out in the morning this time of year, the first place they go is that mulberry tree to see what fell overnight.

Latest posts