2012 Before and After Garden Photos

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I decided to follow Rebbetzin's lead on this. No doubt, the only way you will know the difference between the set of photographs is the "by rebbetzin" and the "by digitS'" :p.

Here at home, I just have the greenhouses & an herb bed in the backyard. The gardens are all elsewhere.

Also, I am going to count them as 3 this year even tho' I'm giving up 1 of them (gettin' old). Actually, at 1 location I have a flower garden (the dahlias) and a vegetable garden. They are separated by 2 large bushes. There's also a "shady corner" that I won't count as a garden but it is across the lawn & driveway. Light's never good over there . . . Then there's the big veggie garden miles away - so, 3 gardens ;). All 3 of the gardens are at a distance from my home on property owned by others.

Aaannnywho. I'll start off with 3 totally inappropriate and non-gardening photographs and then edit them thru the year. Think of these pictures just as "place-holders" and I'll get back to them later and show the gardens.

I am back to show you the gardens before they freeze!

Since the 1st frost was on the 11th of September and it is now the 12th, I've decided to STOP TIME at a good moment. Most of the plants survived but there was a lot of damage to things like squash and cucumbers. Some of the flowers were damaged but NOT the dahlias. So, the August pictures of everything remains except the dahlia garden!

The Dahlia Garden, September 12th:

DSC00532.JPG

many, many dahlia flowers have come out of this garden but it comes back a little stronger each week! without an actual killing frost maybe i'll have another picture with more blooms in a week or 2 :).

The Little Veggie Garden:

DSC00497.JPG

bok choy is now history and 1/2 the potatoes are gone also. i'd just picked the 1st hatful of rattlesnake beans off that 1st teepee. there are quite a few celeriac plants out there in the middle of things in the early morning shade and that is portuguese kale just behind the beans. (earlier, i had identified them as senposai. same family but wrong continent! my 1st time to grow Portuguese kale. i like it!

This is the "Shady Corner." I don't really think of this as an additional garden, rather it is an annex of the Little Veggie Garden. Very shady in that garden with 5 large trees within about 50 feet. Still, the shade doesn't start until noon so it gets that important, early morning sunlight. (The pine trees are out of camera view and to my left. Those are a larch & a grand fir with the neighbor's brush pile beyond. I guess I could have spruced up his area ;).)

DSC00496.JPG

the basil has recovered from a cold june. leeks haven't been growing much in all the heat. lettuce and bok choy are gone here, also. there is a little scotch kale out there amongst the basil.

The Big Veggie Garden, except this is the entrance and nearest the camera is the "Flower Corner." It is hard to photograph this garden because it is in an L:

DSC00490.JPG

this was also taken about 1 week ago. since then, those snapdragons have been really unloading! i can hardly believe that the sweet peas are still blooming and taking all this heat & bright sunshine. sweet corn will be ready in about a week. nearest the camera, there are 12 beds (4' by 25') and 2 beds (2' by 25') with the sprinkler pipe running between them in a 3' wide path. the plants are for cut flowers. the tomatoes in the far distance have now all been staked. sweet corn is around the corner to the right.

Steve :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
So, Steve, is this the way we'll do it? I mean the before and after pix? Do we each start our own post like you and Rebbetzin and then delete the old and add the new pix?
I think I'd be interested in seeing a side by side comparison in the same post.... would that work? You know, so we don't have to rely on our memories?

Just wondering,...was that postcard sent to you? :p

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had better ask Rebbetzin what she had in mind with the side-by-side.

I just thought that her garden was so thoroughly photographed that 10 posts of similar could be quite overwhelming! So, she was going to edit that thread . . .

Putting copies of the same pictures over there would be fine with me :) ! I may have misunderstood but there are many gardeners planting right now so some a "before shots" are missing. I am figuring on taking pictures as soon as I'm out there . . . It will look like the "Wreck of the Hesperus" but, hopefully, not for too long ;).

Steve

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
We had better ask Rebbetzin what she had in mind with the side-by-side.

Steve
I was just thinking of putting the "before and after" photos, of the same areas as we go through the season. Bare looking winter photos, then in Spring, then later in the Summer. Just to compare how different the gardens look at different times of the year. or when we do a major overhaul of some area. I think with my photo edit program I can do a "side by side" comparison as the year goes by.

I was mainly interested in seeing other people's gardens and how they change from season to season.

That is a great series of photos of the old pumping station!! I love to see those kinds of photos! My daughter in CO has a scene she photographs at the different seasons of the year. Her plan is to do a grouping of them on the wall showing how that spot looks at the four different seasons.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
So, Steve, is this the way we'll do it? I mean the before and after pix? Do we each start our own post like you and Rebbetzin and then delete the old and add the new pix?
I think I'd be interested in seeing a side by side comparison in the same post.... would that work? You know, so we don't have to rely on our memories?

I like this idea. I think we should start our own "before and after" thread and we can add new pictures as the seasons change. What about that?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is an image from the online collection at the Spokane library. You can see that big, ol' rock just upstream of the pumping station. I believe that the pump was turned by a water wheel at this time (1890's) and mechanical power was later replaced by electricity. The island in the river is so small, the other buildings are on the northbank of the river, not all that near the pumping station. The larger building, "The Flour Mill" is still there and houses some shops and a restaurant :).

SpokaneRiver1890s1.jpg

Yes Thistle', I was very young in the 1890's - hardly interested in sending or receiving postcards. If you look real closely, that's me on a surfboard enjoying the rapids in the foreground.

Since Rob has given us so much editing control of our posts :cool:, I will probably go back at some point in the future and delete these extraneous things. I hope all the edits don't make trouble for the moderators/administrator. If you have to view a page with all sorts of additions & deletions, that probably isn't very attractive even if we members just see things trimmed of unnecessary stuff.

I would be tempted just to take pictures of my gardens when they are cleanly cultivated and then again when the crops have filled in nicely. You'd never see the senescence of my gardening enterprise, let alone the mess they are in now. Hopefully, you will be able to look at some of these pictures as they are updated thru the season. I can capture that moment of bounty but other than buffing my ego . . . I don't know how informative it is to do so. It is kind of like the "string of fish at the dock" kind of thing. Attractive, but you aren't seeing the harsh reality of gardening . . .

Steve
;)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Yes Thistle', I was very young in the 1890's - hardly interested in sending or receiving postcards. If you look real closely, that's me on a surfboard enjoying the rapids in the foreground.

Steve
;)
Ha! Nothing like a good giggle in the morning!

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Southern Gardener said:
thistlebloom said:

I like this idea. I think we should start our own "before and after" thread and we can add new pictures as the seasons change. What about that?
That sounds good to me. Maybe if we get enough people to participate, it coud be a heading all it's own. Sort of like a "Year Book." keeping track of how our little section of the earth changes with the seasons, and with our helping to make it even more beautiful.

In Hebrew there is a term "Tikkun Olam" translated many times as "repairing the world." Man's attempt at bringing the creation back to the way it was, or to restore order, prevent further chaos and decay in the creation. Or in some circles, like us gardneners, we are helping to make the world a more beautiful place.

Gardening12.gif

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Since this Thread has old photos, which I LOVE to see by the way!! I have one of my Dad's family mine in Ohio. Have no idea if it is still there. I have cousins back there, I ought to ask them.

Notice the age of the cars at the bottom of the photo.

SmithBrothersMineinHeydayemail.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
rebbetzin said:
In Hebrew there is a term "Tikkun Olam" translated many times as "repairing the world." Man's attempt at bringing the creation back to the way it was, or to restore order, prevent further chaos and decay in the creation. Or in some circles, like us gardneners, we are helping to make the world a more beautiful place.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Rebbetzin/2011/Email Iconx/Gardening12.gif
Yes, I like that. I get so weary of getting beat up for being a human.