2012 TEG Giant Pumpkin Contest - weigh in by 15 October

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
desertlady said:
next year I am going to put it in a different location. I do have a question. somewhere I read says not to start seeds indoors because it will damage roots when transplanting. Is there a better way? I tried to experiment, I did try to plant them in composted pots, I planted about 8 weeks before spring , I had pretty vines but they started to die before they made it to the garden ! Also do you put straw around it?
I always start pumpkin seeds indoors, especially if I'm growing giants. The trick is to not start them too early, and use a larger starting pot. Pumpkins, and I'm talking about giants here, should be transplanted as soon as you know which way the main vine will travel. Generally, pumpkin seeds will germinate in 5-10 days depending on conditions. Within another 5-10 days you can tell which way the main vine will run by looking at the first true leaf. The main vine will usually run in the opposite direction of the opening side of that leaf. In other words, look closely at the leaf. If it is going to open towards you, the main vine will grow away from you. Knowing which way it will grow helps to orient the plant in the patch so it grows where you want it to.

As for damaging the roots at transplant, there are ways around that too. Take a 3 pound butter bowl and cut out the bottom. Now, leaving the lid on, invert the bottomless bowl and plant your seed (one seed only). At transplant simply remove the lid (which is now the bottom) and slide the seedling out into the planting hole. For giant pumpkins you want to use the large container because the root system developes quickly. The same method can be used for smaller plants such as tomatoes, etc by using yogurt cups.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Something I should mention also...if you want a longer season to grow really huge pumpkins, starting them early is essential. However, you will need to protect the seedling at transplant by using a hoop house. I'm in zone 5 and start my giant pumpkins on April 23. They usually go under the hoops in the patch by May 10. I usually take the hoops down around the end of May. The plant is usually out growing it by then and the danger of frost is gone.

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I like the idea using butter bowls! I should know better by now using them, BUT it was not on my mind! Thanks for those advise! I know winter is coming ! It will help me be prepared for next year ! I am going to start eating all those butter! Just kidding !!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bet MontyJ is giving you good advice!

Because of a fairly short season and cool nights throughout, and because I have a greenhouse ;), I have taken to setting out all of my vining plants as started seedlings. Not allowing them to become root-bound is important, as is care when setting out.

I don't use re-purposed containers, just use pony packs & pots, but I can see how MontJ's ideas would be helpful in getting the plants into the soil. They don't always survive my efforts but I've usually got "backup" plants. Of course, seed for my melons, cucumbers, squash and pumpkins don't cost anything compared to some of those Atlantic Giant seeds!

Steve

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Of course, seed for my melons, cucumbers, squash and pumpkins don't cost anything compared to some of those Atlantic Giant seeds!

Steve
Actually, you can get Atlantic Giant pumpkins seeds for free...if you know where to look. Most true giant pumpkin growers will give their seeds away for no more than the cost of a self addressed stamped envelope. I used to have a huge collection of seeds, but gave most of them away when I gave up the sport/hobby. I think I may have some left. I'll look for them and do a germination test. If they are still viable, I would be happy to give them away. If not, I happen to know the West Virginia record holder. I'm sure Don would be happy to supply me with seeds to share with the people here. After all, I broke the state record before he did ;)

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey, I think I can post pics now:

9500_1095_wallace_710_wallace.jpg

9500_julia_in_794.jpg

9500_794_walls_2.jpg

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
FANTASTIC, COOL. AWESOME!!!!!!How could you stop all that fun? Don't you miss it??? Thanks for the pictures!I'll take seeds if you can get them!

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Believe it or not, there's not a lot of fun to raising giant pumpkins for competition. It's expensive, time consuming, and often heartbreaking. Plan to spend, at the very minimum, at least one hour every day per plant. Be prepared to give at least 400-600 square feet to each plant. Be prepared to cull every single fruit down to ONE pumpkin. Be prepared to be heartbroken when you watch you 900 pound fruit go down to mice, turning turtle, stem rot, deer damage, drought, hail, or any number of other season ending catastrophies. I personally had an 800 pound fruit turn turtle on me and then rotted from underneath...just halfway through the season. Be prepared to test your soil...a lot. And just the county extension office testing will not do. Be prepared to pay a lab to test your soil. Be prepared to learn to interpret your soil test results and know how to balance your soil for optimum growth. And that's just the beginning.

Do I miss it? Every single year. I can't go back though. It's just to addictive for me.

Don't let this turn you off from growing giant pumpkins. I was a competitive grower. I let it get out of hand. The average grower, with a little help ;) can grow a pumpkin to well over 500 pounds. Just be ready for the ride of your life.

Latest posts