2013 Sorghum Planting Update

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You guys asked me to update you on how the sorghum project was going. They took off very well this year, and fairly early. They range in size from 5' to 10' (the canes) so far. I think all this flooding rain is separating nutrients from the soil and moving them around as I am finding that plants near dips or closest to the rows that flooded are taller then plants on the outside of the rows where the water has been flowing away.

Either way I am happy with the growth, I still have to find a way to crush the canes for the juice when the time comes. I'll be harvesting the seed as well for next year's planting, also as feed for the animals.

5842_sorghum1.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's really cool! Let us know as the season progresses and we'll all put on our thinking caps on to try to figure out how to extract the juice from the canes! :thumbsup

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My sorghum isn't doing nearly as good, but still living. I am trying to figure a way to juice it too. (an inexpensive way)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Kassaundra said:
My sorghum isn't doing nearly as good, but still living. I am trying to figure a way to juice it too. (an inexpensive way)
Have you looked around for mills/farms that do it in your area. See if they can get you in to process yours?

I'd REALLY like to build a machine to do it myself. :D

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Kassaundra said:
Have you looked around for mills/farms that do it in your area. See if they can get you in to process yours?

I'd REALLY like to build a machine to do it myself. :D
No I haven't, I have not even seen any sorghum growing in my area. I have such a small amount it would probably looked at more as a nuscaince then anything else.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would look around you, believe it or not its still grown a LOT in the south, but a lot of places in the west are growing it now as well. Its coming back slowly. I found a place down the road that does it, but they haven't returned my call or email. :(

I think in the end, we'll have like 30 stalks. Kind of disappointing. Several didn't take because they were in a BAD location for the first weeks of heavy rain. Oh well!

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
vfem said:
I would look around you, believe it or not its still grown a LOT in the south, but a lot of places in the west are growing it now as well. Its coming back slowly. I found a place down the road that does it, but they haven't returned my call or email. :(

I think in the end, we'll have like 30 stalks. Kind of disappointing. Several didn't take because they were in a BAD location for the first weeks of heavy rain. Oh well!
Sounds about like how many I'll end up w/ if they don't die of thirst first. Next year I think I am going to start them earlier then I did this year I think they will benefit by the mid spring rains. I didn't plant them until late spring b/c of them suppose to be dry summer loving. They supposedly thrive in Africa w/o added water, appearently there is Africa hot and dry and then there is OKLAHOMA hot and dry! lol lol lol

Latest posts