2015 wheat

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
hate to be bearer of bad news. This years wheat harvest has much lower yields and it is full of fusarium. Some is being rejected and some is being discounted severely. IF feeding, make sure your animals can have it. Shouldn't bother chickens. Hogs-can't feed it at all.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hope the same doesn't happen to the corn. One year the standing corn fields got a fungus due to all the rain and it was worthless as feed. In fact, there were fields with dead deer after they ate the bad corn.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn, is the fusarium a result of all the wet weather?
Yes it is. Even farmers that routinely sprayed fungicides are faced with it.

@Smart Red Hear you on corn. Soybeans are expected to start dying for same reason-too much water on roots. I actually think what corn is harvested, will be good as most corn molds are because of cold wet weather. Suppose to be hot. We'll see.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
The corn around here is just beginning to tassle out. I believe the mold problem occurred the year most of the corn field-dried and then we were hit with a rainy spell in the fall. It is too early for that to be a consideration yet.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Way down here in anti-grain land, we don't buy grains, we get pellets or bagged mixes. But point taken, feed will be higher this year.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seed, how much of the countrys wheat is grown in the NW? Seems like miles and miles of it on the Palouse. To my knowledge they had a drier than average year.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
While not a wheat expert, NW grows a more specialty wheat. Texas-Canada grows milling flour.

Midwest is combination flour/feed wheat. We will be strictly feed this year.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up. I will be curious to see what the fall out will amount to from this summer's cool, wet weather. Grain prices will probably be quite a bit higher this winter, I figure. Maybe hay will be cheaper here, if they managed to get in the narrow windows to bale it.

Here's hoping the farmers in Ohio have had better luck with corn, tomatoes, beans, etc. than I have this year. I'm counting on their U-picks to fill my canning shelf.

Latest posts