2016 Corn Thread

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not much for keepin' of records, Bay. :D All I know is that Ambrosia works for me and so I'll plant it again. Probably won't vary from that one anymore, as if it ain't broke, why try to fix it? ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
THAT was the name of the corn I couldn't remember from last year! Bodacious!
I'm happy to be of some help.

Well, if you want to explore the genetics, here is Idaho's Crookham Seed Company with both Ambrosia and Bodacious. It's a wholesale and plant breeding outfit that has been around a long time.

Steve

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Reading about genetics makes my eyes roll back in my head, Digits. I'd rather just find something that does well, plant it and reap a good harvest than get into the particulars of why all of that happens. :D

My folks always used Silver Queen for their sweet corn and that was good, but I got a taste of the Ambrosia back in the 90s and was very impressed with the size of the ears and the sweet taste, so I switched over and I've found that nothing I've planted since has done as well for me. Did Peaches N Cream one year but was not duly impressed enough to repeat it.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does anyone know if corn would grow in the bay area, specifically Alameda? I don't see any gardener growing it so maybe it doesn't? Our summers are kind of cool.

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
It takes a lot of space to grow corn, so maybe they just don't have the space for it? Summers can be pretty cool here in the mountains too but we still grow corn and not just the 60 day varieties.

Of course, some of the hill folk get their corn from a jar..... :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, you have my sympathy. In a way, I'm glad that you don't have a lot of room and I know I'm glad that you have access to some of the best grower-only, farmers' markets in the U.S.!

Sweet Corn, ripe tomatoes, crisp cucumbers ... a big part of my life!

Here is Wikipedia (how's that for an information source?)

My suggestion is to choose a very early se type. They are known for cool soil tolerance. Of the real earlies, I have grown Spring Snow, Sugar Pearl, and Fleet. I continue to grow Sugar Buns.

We need @OaklandCityFarmer and @marshallsmyth to weigh in. Perhaps @buckabucka and @aftermidnight grow sweet corn ...

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would only devote one of my 4x4 beds to corn. I think it would be great for the kids to see it grow. I'm going to a class with local gardeners on fruit trees tonight. I'll ask if anyone has grown it. :)

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, we do have some amazing farmer's markets here. They have all kinds of beautiful produce and music to entertain you. One of my acquaintances sell the most luscious organic veggie starts. So even if you don't like to do seeds or have much room for a garden, you can still eat delicious fruits and veggies.

Mary

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Why not try out a little patch of corn and see how it does? We grow corn here.
Ever since we got hoop houses, I've grown it in there, more because that is where I had some space (as opposed to it needing extra heat). So far, the raccoons have been afraid to go into the hoop houses, which is another benefit!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'll be doing the Glass Gem again & deciding if i want to hold off growing one of my sweet corns to do the other this year. then for next year grow the other so i don't have cross pollination issues. i got Luther Hill OP Sweet and i have an experimental one called Zola's Rose Ultrasweet. Zola's is a red corn that i've never seen before so i thought it would be interesting to try it.

Latest posts