2020 shortages

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
guess that was my 1 free viewing, but heres an article basically the same

Remember March, with its panic buying and pantry filling?

Consumers’ shopping habits at the outset of the Covid-19 pandemic provided grocers and food manufacturers with some unexpected lessons.

Now, six months after shoppers emptied shelves of toilet paper, disinfecting wipes, meat, frozen foods and more, stores and suppliers are preparing for a fall and winter that’ll bring the usual holiday rush but also the strong possibility of another surge in Covid-19 cases.

See Also
“We started talking about Thanksgiving in June. That’s earlier than we ever have,” Chris Testa, president of grocery wholesaler United Natural Foods Inc., told The Wall Street Journal.

Testa said they’ve increased inventory of cranberry sauce, cold remedies and herbal teas; Southeastern Grocers LLC spent summer months obtaining turkeys and hams for the holidays.

Armed with what they learned from the spring, grocery stores are stockpiling inventory and food companies have stepped up production of popular items to avoid shortages, The Wall Street Journal reports.

Associated Food Stores has loaded pallets with cleaning and sanitizing products — dubbed “pandemic pallets” — to keep inventory in warehouses.

“We will never again operate our business as unprepared for something like this,” Darin Peirce, vice president of retail operations for Associated Food Stores, told The Wall Street Journal.

Ahold Delhaize USA and SpartanNash are among those who’ve said they’re purchasing more food quickly to stock warehouses, with wellness and holiday items top of mind.

Ahold Delhaize, which has holiday inventory in warehouses already, is keeping 10% to 15% more inventory stocked than it did pre-pandemic. Midwestern chain Hy-Vee, too, is amassing paper products, cleaners and sanitizing products, and Walmart is stockpiling groceries, per The Wall Street Journal.

This stockpiling runs counter to the way many retailers had operated prior to the pandemic, known as rapid replenishment of inventory. Now, they’re storing products for months.

Food manufacturers are still trying to catch up with consumer demand. Hormel Foods Corp. CEO Jim Snee said the company’s inventory is down 24% from a year ago; outbreaks of Covid-19 among workers could threaten inventory of certain items like bacon, pepperoni or Skippy peanut butter.

General Mills and Campbell Soup are still struggling to refill shelves for some items and have accelerated production capacity.

High demand for certain products hasn’t faded. Per CNN, Bounty saw its paper towels again wiped off shelves in July, and Clorox has said shortages of its disinfecting wipes and other products are likely to last into 2021.

Shoppers have likely noticed fewer choices in store aisles. As brands focus on production of the items that keep flying off shelves, they’re holding off on less popular varieties.

Consumer spending at grocery stores has been high this year with restaurants closed and Americans cooking more at home, and consumers continue to spend more money and less time at grocery stores. The average household spent about $525 per month in March and $455 per month in July, reports The Washington Post.

plus you can google 2020 food shortage

Last edited:

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It doesn't seem to apply just to staples, or to our country as well. This year, I've noticed a large drop in supply from my tea supplying company. Not only were the new year's teas a bit slow to show (I think, it's hard to remember when the new teas are supposed to come out) but I have been seeing a lot of things coming in in one one or two units (which puts a lot of pressure on me, since I deprives me of the luxury of waiting on the ones that sound interesting. I saw at least one go to sold out before I even saw it had come in (which given that I check the site every day or two, meant it sold out in one day) I suppose it is theoretically possible that people are just buying a lot of tea but given how much some of these teas cost, I doubt it is solely that (plus, big tea buying season is usually around January February, as everyone buys fancy tea to give as Chinese New Year's presents.)

With the lockdown of Italy earlier this year, I also imagine I may see a sharp decrease in the amounts and varieties of Panettone that show up at the discount store.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ammo is in very short supply. I've been reading about it periodically. I'm not knowledgeable about types, sizes, nomenclature, or anything else. But I used to shoot alot in College Army ROTC back a few decades ago.

We've been interested in getting me a gun for my use. My SO went to Coastal, a local farm store, cus he heard that there was a supply of Taurus Judge revolvers there. I cannot at my age slide back the top thingie on a semi auto, so a revolver sounds good. This one, as well as a Smith and Wesson, can use some small shot gun type shells. Again good in an emergency.

The clerk at the store said good luck on finding any personal defense weapon now a days. The last time they had one of the Taurus ones was in March - no deliveries since.

This thread talked about shortages in food, but clearly there are shortages in weapons and the ammo for them.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@majorcatfish ,
" Testa said they’ve increased inventory of cranberry sauce, cold remedies and herbal teas; Southeastern Grocers LLC spent summer months obtaining turkeys and hams for the holidays."
We have 2 turkeys still frozen. Haven't looked to see local inventory yet, but there Will be a Turkey meal for us and two non family guests This Thanksgiving!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Ammo is in VERY short supply. We picked up a couple of laser sights to practice with, with dummy rounds in our guns. NOBODY wants to waste any ammo, including 9mm.
1/2 million NEW gun owners in the state of IL are experiencing a shortage in bureaucrats to process their brand new F.O.I.D cards, too.
Maybe, they are just lazy government workers who already Have their own cards, and couldn't give a hang about everybody else.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
1/2 million NEW gun owners in the state of IL are experiencing a shortage in bureaucrats to process their brand new F.O.I.D cards, too.
Maybe, they are just lazy government workers who already Have their own cards, and couldn't give a hang about everybody else.
Or it's an intentional slowdown...

Latest posts