2nd Generation Zucchini From Last Year's Seeds

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
My neighbor had zucchini last year that did really well. He let one of them grow as big as a baseball bat so he could harvest the seeds but ended up leaving it in his back yard.

Well, he noticed a week ago that the zucchini had melted away and in its place were hundreds of seedlings that were growing like crazy.

He gave me a six pack of them and I'm wondering if I need to be concerned about how well they will produce. From what I've heard, some hybrid plants offspring may not produce fruit as well as the parent... is that true?

I ask because the last thing I need is to go to a bunch of trouble planting and tending it over the season to either get no fruit or "bad" fruit.

What do you think?

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Probably depends on the local sticky feet who polinated the zucchini. I tried to save seed from a japanese squash one year... the second year I got jpn squash x pumpkin of some sort. Luckily they were still eatable, just not as sweet as jpn squash.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey, maybe you'll get a surprise! I would plant it someplace you wouldn't mind a curcurbit-type surprise.

I currently have mystery squash/cuke/melon seedlings growing in a bed that is supposed to contain onions, kale and broccoli. There are multiple possible sources, as that bed was improved with chicken litter, and over the winter I gave the chickens pumpkins cut in half, slightly withered melons, slightly shrivelled cukes, zucchini, dumpling squash innards...could be anything really.

Surprises are fun sometimes. Makes me feel like a Neanderthal or at least Homo erectus: Hey, what's this mysterious orange thing? Is it tasty? Behold, I have discovered a new food source for the tribe! Oook! Ooook oooook ungh!

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
While it's true that if it's a hybrid you won't get the same plant as the parent, you might as well give it a try because it might be fun!

The question is how many of those seeds are fertile, which is an unkown given the condtions that they were produced under. I looked into seed saving at one pont, and it's kind of a messy process to produce high amounts of fertile seed (it involves fermenting the parent fruits) so for a good sucess rate it needs to be done done under controlled conditons just like seed starting.

But you could germinate a batch using the coffee filter/paper towel method just to see which ones are fertile, and then transplant the good ones.

There's no harm in that!

:)

~Phyllis

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Since these are seedlings, not seeds, you have been given, I guess you don't have to worry about the last post.:)

I have grown with good success, 2nd generation squash, zucchini included, with great production. Beans are another seed that, have worked well. (runner beans) I would stick them in the garden with no hesitation.

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
I emailed the neighbor to come to TEG to take a look at everyone's posts. I don't know enough about pollination, but I don't think any neighbors have anything besides Zucchini's growing.

I think I'll buy a Zucchini from the garden center just to hedge my bets along with these mystery plants.

shortcake1806

Sprout
Reaction score
I think getting a couple plants at the garden center isn't a bad idea. While growing the mystery plants out may be fun I wouldn't count on getting anything near the original from them.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have a whole mystery corner. Anything that we're not quite sure of or leftover or unknown seeds get thrown there.

It's always a nice time.