3 Ways People Are Growing Their Own Food in Cities - article

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those bottles in the window are so clever, JoJo!

I suppose a light fixture should always be set up in my best south window when the seedlings go out there but I've only done that a couple of times, over the years. Sunlight does a reasonable job at doing what is necessary. Of course, my plants don't stay there long.

There's a greenhouse and then the gardens. But, here's the thing: My gardens are not on my land ;). I have had one garden at an elderly gardener's rental property for the last 14 years! My garden in Dad's backyard was there even longer. I drove nearly 30 miles to tend those plants!

Even now that Dad has moved, my large veggie garden is 20 miles from home. Are the commutes worth it, I think so :weee.

Out in the countryside, there are so many homes on acreage with the property owners having absolutely NO USE for the land! Horses were fairly popular 20 years ago . . . seems like llamas nearly took over there for awhile. I mean -- I know of one "field" of about 3 acres that is religiously sprayed with herbicide by the owner EVERY year!!

:th

An urban gardener doesn't need to be confined to his or her window or balcony if a broader horizon is desired :).

Steve

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I agree with you. Gardeners can always find fertile soil if they look. :thumbsup Many people here garden but just as many leave the land sit. One neighbour does nothing but mow the weeds once a year in the fall. :barnie Seems a shame since we have such a nice long growing season. But with the heat, you need to be able to water and without a well you wouldn't have enough water. :idunno

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The woman who created the window farm for inner city gardening... she got funding raising money on KickStarter.com. I saw her info over there.

I was trying to get funding through them... and failed. :( Oh well....

Going to read the article now, thanks!