4 Day Weekend! Pics added

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I took the day off today and we are off on Monday for Memorial Day. I have a lot of projects to do around here, so while I had my morning coffee I thought I'd share. :p

The very first thing on the list is painting the beehives - I'm hoping we'll get our bees this weekend - I've e-mailed the guy in our bee club that has promised me bees. I'll post pictures when they are done and in place.

I have to weed my asparagus bed, the horrid rock garden, cut low limbs from a few trees and work on the new composter. The one I made last year is already falling apart and I want to relocate it anyway.

I also have a fun project that I saw on Pintrest. Does anyone Pin? I LOVE it! I have an old door that I want to attach to my back fence and plant honeysuckle around it. Currently my honeysuckle is in my herb garden and it is eating my dill, so it has to go. Here is what I have in mind, but with one door and painted a similar color:

4898_garden_door.jpg

I also want to start painting on the inside of the house again. We painted the living area last fall and want to finish up the dining and kitchen. I have some great ideas that I found on Pintrest for displaying my old bowls that belonged to my grandmother. We are totally redecorating to "cottage style" with the help of my friend who is a designer. I'm also going to replace my kitchen sink to a larger and deeper one - trying to can the garden harvest is hard with a small shallow sink!

That is about it for now. I'll update and post pictures as I go along. I hope everyone has a safe and happy weekend. :)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Only we gardener types would be excited about a weekend of work. Have fun and get a lot done.
Southern Gardener said:
I took the day off today and we are off on Monday for Memorial Day. I have a lot of projects to do around here, so while I had my morning coffee I thought I'd share. :p

The very first thing on the list is painting the beehives - I'm hoping we'll get our bees this weekend - I've e-mailed the guy in our bee club that has promised me bees. I'll post pictures when they are done and in place.

I have to weed my asparagus bed, the horrid rock garden, cut low limbs from a few trees and work on the new composter. The one I made last year is already falling apart and I want to relocate it anyway.

I also have a fun project that I saw on Pintrest. Does anyone Pin? I LOVE it! I have an old door that I want to attach to my back fence and plant honeysuckle around it. Currently my honeysuckle is in my herb garden and it is eating my dill, so it has to go. Here is what I have in mind, but with one door and painted a similar color:

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/4898_garden_door.jpg

I also want to start painting on the inside of the house again. We painted the living area last fall and want to finish up the dining and kitchen. I have some great ideas that I found on Pintrest for displaying my old bowls that belonged to my grandmother. We are totally redecorating to "cottage style" with the help of my friend who is a designer. I'm also going to replace my kitchen sink to a larger and deeper one - trying to can the garden harvest is hard with a small shallow sink!

That is about it for now. I'll update and post pictures as I go along. I hope everyone has a safe and happy weekend. :)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
OHHH, I LOVE those doors! Bet you Lesa does too! ;) Do you only have 1? The 2 together look real good. Post pics when you're done.

Mary

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Those doors are GORGEOUS!!!

I hope you enjoy your weekend and get it all done. :p

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I only have one door, but I think it will work Ninny. Well, I got the hives painted and some limbs cut from the tree with the help of my wonderful dad - those tasks can be checked off.

I got the call from my bee club member and I'm going out to his hives this morning - very excited about that! Not so excited about the cost of his bees - $225!!! Holy CoW! I can't afford that. He's having a few people out to teach some things, so I'm still going to go, but won't be purchasing bees. :( I can get some from another member for less.

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We only paid $78 for our package of bees, but we ordered them in January for April delivery. He is asking too much!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are right, Ninny- I do love those doors and the idea, in general!! I love pinterest! I spend way too much time on there! Is that the price for a nuc- or an entire hive?? Even if his prices are high- you can still learn something from him! Good luck with your to-do list, and your bee adventure!!

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I didn't get near my door project and may not this weekend. :( We spent almost the entire day at the hives! What a great experience - everything makes sense now that I actually saw a real hive - well ALMOST everything makes sense! He was such a great guy and he did come down on the price - the $225 included boxes - and he is going to deliver our bees on Monday evening! I'm also going to give him a couple of dozen fresh eggs for bringing them to me.

I thought I'd get a lot done this weekend, but it looks like I won't. My family is having a gathering tomorrow at my other sister's house, so of course I'm going. I guess a day of rest and relaxation won't kill me. Guess I'll just have to get up really early on Monday morning. ;)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a feeling that price included the boxes... how exciting! I really enjoy having bees, and I am sure you will to. The incredible society they develop inside that box, leaves my in awe every time I see it. They have it all figured out! Truly amazing creatures! I hope you enjoy your day of R and R!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thouht your list was kind of long.
Southern Gardener said:
I didn't get near my door project and may not this weekend. :( We spent almost the entire day at the hives! What a great experience - everything makes sense now that I actually saw a real hive - well ALMOST everything makes sense! He was such a great guy and he did come down on the price - the $225 included boxes - and he is going to deliver our bees on Monday evening! I'm also going to give him a couple of dozen fresh eggs for bringing them to me.

I thought I'd get a lot done this weekend, but it looks like I won't. My family is having a gathering tomorrow at my other sister's house, so of course I'm going. I guess a day of rest and relaxation won't kill me. Guess I'll just have to get up really early on Monday morning. ;)

Latest posts