4 Ways to Share the Seasons Harvest (and Make Friends Doing It)

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
http://www.yesmagazine.org/issues/the-human-cost-of-stuff/share-the-harvest

4 Ways to Share the Seasons Harvest (and Make Friends Doing It)

Guerrilla grafting, crop mobs, and other ways to make the fruits of your labor go further.

by Katrina Rabeler, Chris Francis

posted Sep 13, 2013

Guerilla Grafters Image by Jem Sullivan

YES! illustrations by Jem Sullivan.
1. Guerrilla Grafters
Like many cities, San Francisco planted thousands of ornamental trees along its streets that flower but dont bear fruit. When Tara Hui tried to plant a fruit-producing tree on the city-owned parking strip outside her home, the city objected even though she promised to harvest the fruit and keep the ground clear underneath the tree. Determined to prove that fruit growing on public land is a public benefit, 41-year-old Hui started (illegally) grafting branches of fruit-producing tree varieties onto their sterile counterparts. The idea caught on, and Guerilla Grafters was born.

The groups anonymous members have grafted apricots, nectarines, apples, cherries, pears, and plums onto about 50 public trees. Each grafted tree has a committed guerilla caretaker who collects fallen fruit. The trees are now in their second year and bearing fruit for anyone to take, sharing natures bounty and furthering the groups tongue-in-cheek mission of undoing civilization, one branch at a time.

2. Neighborhood Fruit

Neighborhoodfruit.com connects homeowners whose trees produce more than they can use with people who are willing to harvest free fruit. Owners register their trees on the websites database, which can be searched according to tree location, type, and whats in season. Harvesters sign waivers to protect landowners from liability and arrange convenient times to pick fruit or collect boxes of produce. The website has more than 10,000 trees registered nationwide, and users add more daily.

Like what you're reading? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

Glean it Forward illustration by Jem Sullivan

Illustration by Jem Sullivan.
3. Glean it Forward
Food Forward in Southern California practices fruitanthropy, organizing volunteers to harvest surplus farm produce for donation. According to the National Resources Defense Council, a quarter of food produced on American farms is discarded at harvest: aesthetically imperfect produce doesnt go to market, and farmers overplant to buffer the effects of weather and fluctuating prices.

CropMobster is another organization that addresses waste by inviting farms to offer donations and advertise gleaning events and clearance deals on food fresh from the field. The amounts of food saved are impressive. Volunteers organized through CropMobster gleaned 1,000 pounds of kale from Californias Bloomfield Farms in just one day.

Give a Row illustration by Jem Sullivan

Illustration by Jem Sullivan.
4. Grow a Row, Give a Row
Summer and fall can be a time of overabundance in the garden, when the chard, zucchini, green beans, and tomatoes all ripen at once. Most gardeners give their surplus produce to friends and neighbors, but some go a step further and supply local food banks, soup kitchens, and sheltered housing with free, fresh, often organically grown fruit and vegetables.

Some gardeners create an intentional abundance to share. Gardeners who grow a row to give a row plant a little more than they expect theyll need for their own household, and combine their efforts with gardening neighbors to collect produce and make regular donations throughout the season. Community efforts can produce significant volume. The owners of two-acre Maris Farm in upstate New York grow food for people who often dont have access to fresh produce. With the help of volunteers, many from local Hamilton College, they harvest enough to donate half their crop every year900 lbs in 2012.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Katrina Rabeler and Chris Francis wrote this article for The Human Cost of Stuff, the Fall 2013 issue of YES! Magazine. Katrina and Chris are YES! interns.

Read More
Farmer Startups: How Incubators Are Helping Small, Sustainable Farms Take Off
Renegade Gardener Plots World Domination Through Homegrown Veggies
How Two Plant Geeks Turned Grew a Permaculture Oasis in an Ordinary Backyard

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I especially like the idea of guerilla grafting! It would also make a great opportunity to graft heirloom varieties onto the trees.

In fact, I like that website a lot! Thank you for posting this!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am the recipient of free fruit this year. I was given figs and pears. I made strawberry fig preserves and lemon fig preserves, giving several jars of each to the friend that gave me the figs. I was given pears and canned them, giving jars of pears to the owner of the tree. So it was a win-win for all.

Latest posts