A bit of spice is nice.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
for a change i made what i hoped for just by sweating some onions and then getting some ground chuck browned.

opened the can of lite coconut milk (it was all the store had) and was sorely disappointed in the lack of flavor. might as well have been using milk it was so blah. won't be doing that again. the whole reason for using coconut milk at all is for the flavor it brings to this dish.

still i added my can of spice blend and let that simmer for a little while, tasted and wanted a bit more salt and complexity so added a bit of mushroom soy sauce (not much i don't normally add salt to anything at all i cook) and then thickened it up with a little flour.

a fitting feast for a poor deprived spice head who hasn't cooked anything like that for about a year.

normally i like to put a bit of lime zest in there at the end which bumps the flavor nicely. no limes here today. still turns out well as a quick close to Thai food substitute.

normally i also like to use sliced beef instead of ground chuck but again, it was what was on hand.

half for today and half for tomorrow. :) *happy camper*

what have you been cooking recently that you don't normally have? spicy? :)