a cell phone camera is just a silly temptation

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It seldom takes a clear enuf picture to amount to anything unless the subject is only a few feet away.

I was walking on a city street today and saw this severely broken tree. Someone else saw that tree also. I waited a little long to snap the picture and he is standing in the shade of those 3 large broken branches. It is mid-day:

downsize-16.jpg

Sorry. You can't actually see him there in the shade but I think those are his white shoes. The sun is as high as it will get behind me. And . . . he is standing . . . in the shade!

The wind is blowing with gusts at nearly 40mph . . . and, he is directly under 3 large branches that have broken in the wind!!

Looking up . . :rolleyes: . smoking a cigarette . . .

Steve

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, if he's smoking a cigarette he's already got a death wish!!

Sorry, yes i am one of those horrible nags who constantly harp on people about smoking. But let me tell you, taking xrays of very sick people, and watching them suffer, and watching their families suffer, gives you a voice to speak out about it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Heather, you just go right ahead and use your voice.

I don't want to join you talking about tobacco, tho'. I quit using it 25 years ago and it took more than me and my determination to make it stick that time. People who have been close to me have died. I can hardly believe that they continued to smoke . . .

Yes, he had very strange behavior. He moved 3 times while I traveled that block. First he moved closer under the tree, then further away, then right back under those big branches. It didn't look to me as tho' there was any danger to power lines or other property. Just him . . . and his cigarette.

Steve :/

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I quit 2.5 years ago, after smoking for 16 years at least a pack a day. I started smoking at the age of 14 when my mom quit after she smoked for yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeears!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Let's see, qtpie . . .

Your mother quit when you were 14 and you picked them up and started smoking . . ?

I finally stopped smoking because of family at home. Neither of my kids now smoke and I don't think the youngest ever picked them up - hope not. I quit making wine at home because she was showing such an interest, as a young teenager. No real loss there but it also put an end to my great history making beer.

Yeah, the guy under the broken branches might have been drinking but he wasn't stumbling around and just really seemed curious.

Steve

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Good for both of you for quitting! :ya. I do understand that years and years ago, there was NO information about how bad smoking was for you. And i understand that its a VERY hard habit to break. Congrats!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I quit 6 years ago, after picking it up in highschool and smoked for about 10 or so years, avg. a 1/2 pack a day.

Yes, I am certainly more curious why he would stand under that tree! He must have a death wish... :/

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Looks like job security for me. :lol:

And to him ................................................... Here is your sign.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yup... she quit.. I started. Both of my kids begged and begged and BEGGED me to quit smoking, and I finally did right before my 30th birthday. I do drink wine on occasion, both of my children have tried wine and don't care for it. I only started liking wine a couple years ago myself! Since 2 of my siblings have addictions to alcohol/drugs I never really went the route of drinking or doing drugs, but I did have my "partying days" when I was younger.

My husband and I have gotten into VERY heated debates about underage drinking. My belief is that if they are going to drink, they need to be in our home to so, that way they won't be tempted to go out to a party and/or drink and drive. His view is, is that children shouldn't drink under age no matter what and that he won't tolerate it. I'm not quite sure how they will feel when we get our own farm and make some of our own wine.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I never liked the idea of allowing kids to drink "in the safety of their own home" but I know many people adhere to this idea. My thinking is that if a kid is going to drink, they're going to drink. May have more to do with temperament, friends, opportunity, and genetic predisposition. Both my boys took up the paternal family tradition of drinking till they were stupid, on a regular basis. Now they are both teetotalers, and live very clean lives. Both owe their sobriety to faith in God, by the way. :happy_flower

Latest posts