A chicken question

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Maybe one of your chickens will go broody and she can do all the work. What kind of chickens are they? Some kinds are more apt to go broody than others.
I have a few white Leghorns, Golden Comets, 4 black ones with a hint of brown, and several mutts. And I found out that the new roo is a Delaware. My neighbor told me that the Delaware breed is in danger in the USA and they have been trying to breed them for the kids 4-H projects.

I had a hen get broody during the heat of the summer and I got several fertilized eggs from a friend for her to sit on. She is now the proud step-mother of five 12 week old something-or-others. Actually now that the babies are bigger she does not want anything to do with the young ones.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
sounds about the right age for her to let them be on their own. my momma hen is starting to leave them on their own in the flock more and more now that the feathers are mostly grown out. they still follow and snuggle with her at night but she's trying to wander away with the rest of the flock instead of watching where they are going. i think they are going on week 9 or 10 now.