a different garden idea

bunch-a-chickens

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
coolgardenidea.jpg
each colored line shows a rows of some sort of vegetable with each white space being walking/open space. the outer rows will be plants that take up the most space with the inner rows made up of plants that take up the least space. i think I'm going to try this out next year. anybody else wanna give it a try "just 'cause" ?

Mossy Rock

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
What kind of rooster is that in your picture?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
What are the pros vs. cons of this method of planting? If there were a good reason to implement this type of planting I would consider it! Or is it just a design feature? :)

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I don't have that much space, but it looks really neat!

bunch-a-chickens

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
corn vs. carrot i think we all know that corn would take up a lot more space than carrots. so if i have corn on the very outside and carrots on the inside, the carrots could still go all the way around the square while not taking up so much room. its mostly for looks though. i can't think of any cons

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I could see how this could help keep disease from killing all of a certain type of plant by keeping them isolated.

My concern with planting this way and this is especially true for corn is pollination. Corn needs to be planted in blocks and not long rows to ensure proper pollination. This would be a really cool idea to have for looks but for someone like myself who uses intensive gardening methods I really can't see this as a practical plan.

Also, if someone is using companion planting this makes it very difficult to keep certain plants near one another while keep them away from others and keeping the larger plants on the outside rings/loops.

I might try this down south this winter, we'll see.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
simple life said:
Wouldn't corn block the sun to the center where the smaller veggies are?
Just asking, not saying it will.
That's a good point as well. As would other larger vegetables if you're planning on putting the smallest stuff in the middle. Either way it may be interesting to try on a small scale to see how it works. Maybe we'll do this in the experimentation garden next year as well.

Latest posts