a different garden idea

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I, too, was thinking of the corn shading other plants.

It looks like it would be very attractive, but growing intensively, and companion planting, as OaklandCityFarmer said, it would not really work well for me.

However, I can see having a "sub-garden" like this, perhaps a combination of herbs and flowers. I grow medicinal herbs, as well as culinary, and I do like flowers and other ornamentals. You could even make this a permanent planting, with a little table and chairs in the middle, so you could admire it over tea, lunch, or a good book! :)

Thanks for sharing the idea with us. :cool:

bunch-a-chickens

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
i like the table'n'chair idea. my garden will be on a bit of a hill though. and now that I think about it, the hill is just perfect because it will block very little sun during the day.

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Seems like you could put a rectangular block of corn in the middle space and build everything else around it, going in a mound from biggest (in the center) to smallest (around the edges.)

In my mind, it would give it a somewhat Aztec pyramid look, which would be COOL.

Just a thought. :)

Cassandra

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I guess that's true. I think I would want onions and garlic on the very outside. Maybe with three or four different kinds of potatoesjust inside of that (stuff that gets dug up)

Then, maybe carrots and one or two things the same size as carrots. With four rows on each block, seems like you could plant four different things... but that is a lot of different things! Ooo.. carrots interspersed with lettuce. Would that work?

Then cucumbers, squash, peppers, eggplants, tomatoes, pole beans (where you keep the poles shorter than the corn, then corn in the middle.

This is actually my first year to have a garden, so please don't take my gardening advice. I am just throwing aesthetic ideas out there. LOL

Cassandra

bunch-a-chickens

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have thought of something like that. I'll have to make the first inner 3 or 4 rows corn, mostly for the chicken since we won't can anything. the pyramid idea would look pretty cool. I guess I've got some planning to do, huh? WELL, i'VE got all year

Latest posts