A few different plants to ID

Hanalei

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I've got a couple of different plants that I'm not sure what they are. I wouldn't be surprised if the first 2 are "weeds", but it seems like a lot of plants regarded as weeds are very healthy to eat and juice (like dandelion greens).

9255_dsc_0118.jpg

9255_dsc_0119.jpg

This one is a red leaf lettuce, correct?
9255_dsc_0120.jpg

Whatever these are, there's a whole bunch of them coming up in one spot of my garden. Are they some kind of vegetable? I've got another picture of them from a somewhat lower angle, but it didn't want to upload. If you guys think it would be helpful, I can try again.
9255_dsc_0121.jpg

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
1 and 2 weeds.
3 leaf lettuce
4 I would like to know also! (As I have it too!)

Hanalei

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Do you know what kind of weeds?

The 4th one I wonder if it's a potato plant or something?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
That bottom one is a potato, my guess, store bought russet.

What you think is Lettuce sure is Lettuce, a nice red tinged variety.

In the second photo that one looks like a Mint. Squish a leaf and check. There is a kind of plant that looks like that less glossy around here that some folks call Lambs Quarters, but they have it wrong. It is similar to a Mint but has no aroma. Top photo I can't tell but they sure are pretty. Could be Guinea Impatiens for all I can tell.

I have a wild Aster I think of some kind growing in my garden. I hope it's going to be that super rare small white flowered one. Growing real healthy. If that's what it is, it won't bloom until fall, maybe a bit sooner.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm thinking lemon balm for #2, but something in the mint family fits too. maybe it is ground ivy?

#3 is lettuce.

#4 potato

#1 i have no real clue but looks like something in the nightshade family i've seen growing in my area, maybe garden huckleberry (not the true huckleberry related to blueberries)? we get these growing wild in the garden each year and i just keep pulling them. once in awhile i will let a couple grow just to remind me how big they can get if i forget one. :rolleyes: http://www.liseed.org/solanunusual.html they are edible but you have to wait for the black/dark purple berries to get a cloudy/dull look to them before you can pick for eating or making into jam. i remember as a kid the berries having a slight bitterness to them if eaten raw.

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
First one looks like red root pig weed. I have it all over, feed it to my guinea pigs sometimes. Pull it and see if the roots are red.

Latest posts