A Few Minutes With Andy Rooney

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
We picked up a couple tons of hay cubes a few days ago, while in Yerington I stopped at a thrift store, in the book section I saw the title: A Few Minuted with Andy Rooney. For a quater century he was on TV with a discription of things we run into everyday. Andy's not with us any more but some still remember him.

WARRANTIES
What do you do with all the owner's manuals, warranties and pieces of paper that come in the box when you buy something new? I never know what to do with them.
I bought a new blender last week and there were eight seperate things to read in there. I am having a good time opening my new toy and the first thing I get is a warning: "stop!" They don'twant me to hurt myself.
"To avoid injury." it says, "see your recipe book for assembly instruction "
Well, in the first place, I didn't know I had to put the thing together myself, and in the second place, why would they put the assembly instructions in the recipe book?
"Place stamp here!" That's something I'm suppose to mail back to them if something is missing. Why didn't they make sure nothing is missing? If I have to put something together, why do I always think something is missing?
Here's the important one: "Owner's registration card." They want your name, address, date of birth, color of eyes, where you bought it, why you bought it and how you paid for it. It's as if they thought you stole it.
"IMPORTANT DO NOT DISTORY!" See, that's why I don't dare throw any of this out. . .. they tell me not to.
I dug up all the guarantees I found in drawers around the house. I've got more old warranty cards than drawers to put them in.
Let's face it though, anything that's apt to happen to an appliance like a blender isn't covered by the warranty anyway, so I never send them in, if it breaks, I'll buy a new one. That's the American way.

Congratulations, you are now the proud owner of a new GE automatic slicer. With care it will give many years of faithful service." They all say the same things. It doesnt matter whether you buy a radio, a power tool or a new refrigerator, you know:
"Read instructions carefully."
"Do not immerse in water."
"Keep out of reach of children."
"Wash occasionally in a mild solution of soap and warm water."
I've got one for an automatic dryer. We threw the dryer away nime years ago, but I'm still holding on to the warranty and the owner's manual.
They keep selling you on these things even after they've got your money. Made from the finest materials available."
They usually promise these things won't break too, but I notice they always include a list of places where you can get them fixed. Montana. North Dakota . . . there's never a place near me.
"If this item has to be returned, mail it back in its origional container." They're kidding. They expect us to save all that stuff too? I'd have to take it all back to Japan to find someone who could put it back in the package it came in.
And one last bit of reading matter? "Batteries not inclluded."