A few pictures of the "Smiles Homestead"

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Several folks have requested some pics of Mom and Dad's homeplace. I have a few that I took two months ago when things were nice and green. I don't mean to occupy so much space here at TEG but some of you may enjoy these.

I don't know how to include captions for each pic but I'll try to describe them for you.

Capture 08.JPG
#1 The cows think I have treats.

Capture 01.JPG
#2 Grandma and Grandpa loved their gardens.

Capture 02.JPG
#3 A view of the barnyard.

Capture 04.JPG
#4 A view of the chicken coop.

Capture 07.JPG
#5 Dad had this strange structure behind the chicken coop. It looks like a big nesting box but I don't think there is access to retrieve the eggs. I haven't look closely though.

Capture 03.JPG
#6 A view of the back of the house.

I did not take pictures of the inside of the house yet. It needs LOTS of work!!!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a beautiful setting! I love all that space and old country houses. It looks so peaceful. I'm sure Smiles was very contented there. Thank you for posting.

I've been having computer problems and last night I had a dream. I dreamed that somehow I found all of my logins and passwords like you did of your dad. Funny how he's still touching us.

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Smiles, thank you so much for the photos. Don't even think you can "occupy too much space". We never tire of seeing pictures on TEG and these allow us to be closer and have greater insight into the wonderful man that he was.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some of those shots would make a beautiful painting. Everything looks so tidy and well cared for. That is a very nice chicken house. I can't imagine what those would be other than nestboxes though? Did your dad have a large flock? It looks like a big coop.

Oh, and you can't possibly post too much! We love pics. :)

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Dad usually had between 16 and 36 chickens but the number fluctuated according to how active the mink, fox, coyote, and hawks were. Mom always got sad when a chicken disappeared. I don't know exactly what happened but the food bank/soup kitchen was no longer allowed to accept dad's free 12 dozen eggs every week. I'm sure it had something to do with liability and state requirements. So when dad started to get sick he allowed the flock to dwindle to only 4 or 5 chickens.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Isn't that a shame they must turn down perfectly good, healthy food donations because of over-regulation. :\

That's what I do too, buy more chickens than I need, *just in case*. I don't really get too attached to them anymore, now that I know better.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The farm is very homey and comfortable looking. I'm glad it gets to stay in your family. Thanks for showing it to us. I know we're all happy to see you posting here. :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are delighted to hear from you and see pictures of your home and barn. You have a lovely place! You take up all the space you want to here on TEG! Before long, you'll get the garden fever, probably after long weeks of cold, nasty weather and THAT'S when the SEED CATALOGS show up! They have bright colorful pictures that you can warm your hands over! We will be happy to help you all we can on your garden. :thumbsup

Latest posts