A few thoughts about weeds.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We've often heard the old saying,"A weed is only a plant growing where it isn't wanted" It's only our own prejudice that makes the difference between a weed and a garden plant. Many of them, such as lambs quarter and dandelion are just as tasty and nutritious as anything we plant.
When my grandfather was looking over a piece of land for farming one of the first things he looked at was what kind of weeds grew there. Certain weeds, such as iron weed and careless weed indicated the nutrients in the soil had been used up and it was "tired". Other, such as the already mentioned lambs quarter showed that the soil was in good shape if the plants were healthy and almost anything could be planted there.
The old custom of letting land lie fallow for a few years just meant letting random weeds grow there and then turning them under. Each time the weeds made good growth they were turned under again. After a few rounds of that the soil began to wake up and become healthy again. Grandpa used to laugh when he heard people talk about weeds sapping the soil. He told me the weeds were just storing the nutrients so they wouldn't leach out when it rained. Nothing is ever wasted if nature is not interfered with. Everything is used and reused over and over and weeds are part of the process. Composting weeds or letting them dry and then using them as mulch is working with nature instead of fighting it.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
How right you are, hoodat! To say nothing of all the wonderful bees and bugs that are attracted to them! I try to keep my front gardens weedless- but the further you walk from the front the more I spare the weeds! Now that I have bees, anything with a flower stays! Weeds also make excellent, free, chicken treats! Working with nature and not against it, just makes so much sense!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Untended weed patches near your garden also act as sanctuaries for the predators that keep the pests in your garden under control.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
see that's wahat I mean. the weeds feed your ducks and the ducks feed the weeds. It works out well for everyone concerned. :hugs

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
OK, what is burr cucumber good for? It's nasty once established.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Amazing as they are a huge pest in fields to the point they will take a field out. Not sure who would be brave enough to go pick them as if caught in them, you have to throw your shirt and pants away...............

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think seedcorn and wifezilla are talking about two different plants. One is like a small cucumber and the spines are soft enough to use like regular cucumbers. The other has hard bur like stickers with almost no flesh to the fruit and two large hard seeds. I doubt the one with stickers is edible.
If nothing else it is a storehoue for minerals that might otherwise be leached out.
Don't misunderstand. I'm not advocating letting weeds run wild to the point they take over a garden. They should be confined to areas where they do not interfer with gardening such as around the edges but eliminating weeds over a large area including on ground that is not being used is a mistake. If the garden soil is tilled and there are no weeds nearby where are your predators to come from? All weeds are not necessarily the enemy.

Warthog

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
You might be able to imagine the land I am working on which has not be touched for 90 years is abundant in weed growth.

I have been trying to identify some of these, because there are no books here that cover flora or fauna in Belize, so I regularly search the internet, it is absolutely amazing to find that what we call brush growth and weeds are selling for many $$$$ as tropical plants.

Around the house the garden will of course eventually become weed free, but within the remaining brush will be left untouched to allow nature to do it's thing.

Latest posts