A fine crop of aphids.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do not count myself among the experts either, but I remember when I worked at a greenhouse that those employees that smoked were restricted to a certain area and had to wash their hands before handling any plant material to prevent any Tobacco Mosaic Virus contamination.
Tomatoes are among those plants vulnerable to TMV.

You might not want to use the tobacco spray on them :hu

"The most common sources of virus inoculum for tobacco mosaic virus are the debris of infected plants that remains in the soil and certain infected tobacco products that contaminate workers hands. Cigars, cigarettes, and pipe tobaccos can be infected with tobacco mosaic virus. Handling these smoking materials contaminates the hands, and subsequent handling of plants results in a transmission of the virus. Therefore, do not smoke while handling or transplanting plants."

From the Univ. of Minnesota extension

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/dg1168.html

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
thistlebloom - that's why you boil the tobacco tea. It pretty much sterilizes the brew. I've been using it for about 30 years with no adverse effects. Well, other than sometimes it doesn't work very well. :rolleyes:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, that makes sense, thanks for the clarification Smiles! :)
That's a good piece of new information for me, I like learning about home remedies and their applications.
So does the soap act as a sticker or is it more of a insecticidal action along with the tobacco? And could you add a sticker/spreader for greater effectiveness? ( I ask because I have some and when mixed up it lasts a long time, I think it's like 2 TB per gallon.)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Aphids are very thin skinned. The soap actually penetrates into the skin and dehydrates them.