A good reason to grow your own poultry feed

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
"More than 4,700 farms have been temporarily closed in Germany as a result of a feed contamination scare. On Friday, officials in one German state said samples taken from the company at the center of the investigation indicated contamination with the carcinogen dioxin as far back as March.

State officials in Germany have found that animal feed discovered this week to have been polluted by industrial oil has apparently been in circulation longer than previously reported.

Germany has been shocked by the food tainting scandal, which has spread to 13 different German states and could have affected neighboring countries. At issue is dioxin, a known cancer-causing agent, which has been found at high levels in eggs and is feared be in poultry and pork coming from farms that used feed polluted by the toxin."
http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,738337,00.html

dipence71

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
AHHHH what next...wait I dont want to know......:hide

RECIPE of what and how much to grow and what per-portions.....and how to mix...... :tools

AHHHHH Does anyone know!!!! :hu

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
"More than 4,700 farms have been temporarily closed in Germany as a result of a feed contamination scare. On Friday, officials in one German state said samples taken from the company at the center of the investigation indicated contamination with the carcinogen dioxin as far back as March.

State officials in Germany have found that animal feed discovered this week to have been polluted by industrial oil has apparently been in circulation longer than previously reported.

Germany has been shocked by the food tainting scandal, which has spread to 13 different German states and could have affected neighboring countries. At issue is dioxin, a known cancer-causing agent, which has been found at high levels in eggs and is feared be in poultry and pork coming from farms that used feed polluted by the toxin."
http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,738337,00.html
Here in Britain supermarkets have been clearing their shelves of products that have been made here but using the liquid egg product, made in Holland, from the exported German eggs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12139407

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12133402

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12135747

Hattie

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hattie you are talking about food moving thru 3 nations.

This reminds me of the huge recall of food because of the deliberate contamination of spices with industrial Sudan 1 dye, 6 or 7 years ago.

Along with a lot of other processed foods, McDonald and McCormick products were being recalled in Great Britain. Meanwhile, Crosse & Blackwell Worcester sauce disappeared off supermarket shelves with nary a whisper in the American press here in the United States . . .

Steve

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Hattie you are talking about food moving thru 3 nations.

This reminds me of the huge recall of food because of the deliberate contamination of spices with industrial Sudan 1 dye, 6 or 7 years ago.

Along with a lot of other processed foods, McDonald and McCormick products were being recalled in Great Britain. Meanwhile, Crosse & Blackwell Worcester sauce disappeared off supermarket shelves with nary a whisper in the American press here in the United States . . .

Steve
Unfortunately Steve I suspect this is going to affect many more countries than the three already named. These situations are always painted by powers that are in charge as non-dangerous to the public; the actual problems & results very quickly become all too obvious.

Large food businesses (amongst others) need to be made to be honest about their dealings with our collective health......after all we only have one life! I say this as I near the end phase of mine & reflect on the increasing numbers of incidents due to mishandling, dishonesty & down right cheating of various food organisations; all of whom are hell bent only on making huge sums of money.

Today I am one very angry old woman who is deeply saddened by the world I live in.

Hattie

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
:rainbow-sun :hugs :rainbow-sun

. . . wanted to send you those . . .

As we fuss and fume about rights I think that it is important to keep in mind how much larger corporations are than individuals. And still, I've yet to hear of any corporate bodies locked away in a slammer because of damage that they have done to actual human beings.

Without intervention by civil bodies (governments), we are endangered by moneyed interests hell-bent on profit. Shall we wait for a market correction?

Most of us realize that McDonalds and McCormick are American businesses, or at least, once were. I am not sure if I'm telling you anything new Hattie but Crosse & Blackwell, whose contaminated sauces resulted in so many recalls in the UK, is owned by Smuckers, Inc. - family-run in Ohio for generations.

Okay, so I bet over 90% Americans were completely unaware when the UK had its largest food recall in history just a few years ago. Even when the Canadians were publicly pulling food off their shelves, we were still blithely missing the story here in the US, comfortable with our food security.

Steve

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
am i happy i picked up a lot of red wheat seed for this growing season. i'm hoping to get some mangel beets to grow as well since i was reading those are good to give to the chickens as feed! my birds already get lots of other veggies from the garden too but those beets seem to grow BIG and store well and are specific for the birds!

thanks for the links! scary to think that bio-fuel and food oils could get mixed up and cause this mess over in the UK! what would/could happen over here in the US if it was allowed to happen and the unsuspecting public didn't know!?

Latest posts