A light at the end of the tunnel!

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's been grey and cold for weeks, and I've been cooped up in the house working on a big spreadsheet project. Finally, this morning, there were a few fluffy clouds but a mostly blue sky. Hubby asked me to walk outside with him so he could show me something. There they were! The first green shoots of the daffodils were poking their little green heads above the ground. :weee I got so excited that I decided to take a walk around the property.

Well!

The peach trees and the other fruit trees are all showing nice fat buds. The forsythia actually have a few tiny leaves! The grass is green. There were a couple of magpies in the backyard and a group of ducks in the sky, haggling over their turf.

I know it's only the end of January, and there's still some chilly weather ahead, but I think I'll spend tomorrow getting out the seed starting supplies and potting up a few seeds, just in case we have an early spring.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow! What zone are you in? There is nothing that symbolizes all we have been hoping for... more than daffodils! Enjoy!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you get in a hurry to see those daffodils, you might try digging up a clump and potting them up carefully, and bring inside. I do that with my hyacinths, then replant them when they quit blooming.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm feeling so cooped up lately too. Can't wait for spring! What zone are you in, Nitty?

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's great that your noticing signs of Spring. Maybe we will get an early Spring this year.....:fl . Groundhog's Day is only a few days away. Here's to hoping more signs of Spring will appear soon.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think Nitty' is in one of the big valleys in the interior of the West.

Her elevation might be down there near a big old slow-moving river at about 500 feet.

Yeah, at this time of the year, her robins may be clustered around her backdoor waiting for her to come out and turn the garden soil so as to snatch a nice earthworm. What do I mean "her robins!" Those are my robins, waiting to get back to the high country and the shade of the evergreens where they belong!

Steve

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We're supposed to get two days of unseasonably warm weather today and tomorrow. So I'm sure I'll be out there looking for the light at the end of the tunnel. I just hope it's not a train.

I've been rebuilding an old spinning wheel for the past two weeks. We live in a tiny old farmhouse and I have to work in the living room. But all of my tools and supplies are out in the frigid shop so I dash out through the snow and the temperatures in the teens only to track snow and crud into the house. Of course I have to make 6 million trips (or maybe it's 7 million I'm not sure) and momma is not happy with me at all.

Come on springtime!!!!!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here in Eastern IA the temps are very nice today (And tomorrow) record setting highs are possible. A real tease. Then back to VERY cold. Ah January in IA.