A little miffed.

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have ordered a bunch of seed catalogs. In each of those seed catalogs these guys also sell fruit trees. They also sell "minature fruit trees" I really really really really want some. In each of the catalogs its says the minature fruit trees are not available to be shipped to certain states. Texas is one of them. So, I emailed one of them about that issue and they said that our department of agriculture will not permit it. Disease, I expect. What can I do? Or should I just forget it. I dont wanna be the cause of disease spreading but I sure do want some of those minature fruit trees!!!!!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is probably because of disease issues, although some things can't be shipped to certain states because of problems with them escaping from cultivation and becoming a massive pest in the natural landscape.

Chances are you can find a source within Texas, though, you'll just have to look around. Google, phone, etc :)

And if you really really want several you might be able to talk your local good nursery into special-ordering them for you, worth asking anyhow.

Good luck,

Pat

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
get someone just across the border to get them for you then you can go and pick them up..

unless your in the smack dab middle of TX.. then I would go with the Previous Posts advice.

we live very close to the alabama boarder.. so citrus trees cannot be shipped here but I have many a friends in alabama that I can have them sent to.

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
smom1976 said:
get someone just across the border to get them for you then you can go and pick them up..

You know, I've thought about that. I live about an hour from the beautiful state of Louisiana. Only I dont know anybody there. I was just in Beaumont yesterday while on a get out of the house drive.

Lets suppose that I knew someone there, would I be negligent in the disease area What I mean is this, could I possibly do harm to others and their plants by doing this I aint opposed to doing it I just dont want to harm other peoples (or mine for that matter) property.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm with Pat, try to do a local search for these. I'm sure its not the tree itself, its just that its coming from out of state and may carry a pest that could be detrimental to the enviroment.

If you can't find it locally, ask your agricultural dept to help find you one you can pay for an inspection to do done before you are permitted to obtain it.

It'll probably have a 'quarintine' period when it arrives.

Pat's option is simpler!

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would contact the Dept. of Ag. and find out WHY they can't be shipped. If they are on a prohibited list it could be inviting a visit from a fellow with one of those citation/fine pads. Make sure it isn't a violation of some sort to own/import that paticular variety.

Latest posts