A new Old Hello!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome back, David :frow!

Now, I remember when you took a looong break from BYC. When you arrived back there was an excuse about not having a backyard flock for some time.

You know, there can be such things as fantasy chickens and gardens . . . Isn't that kind of what these forums are all about anyway?

Steve ;)

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Good for you Pat. There is nothing like a dog to show us how to live life, the way we wish we could.

When I moved to my dads old house, I was against the relocation. It was my wife that pushed for it. I'm still not sincerely behind it, but I'm making do. I brought some of my old garden with me, in fact - some of you may recall I did a lot of planting in tires a season back.

Well, I can say that old car tires as planters are over-rated. I know some people swear by them, but I wont do it again. Nothing really did well in them. I think it may have been the heat, and perhaps some of the petrochemical un-naturalness of them. Maybe both - I'm not gonna go there.

But I can say the things Ive planted this year in the ground are already doing better. Same seeds, even the same soil, most of which I recovered.
I did a sort of sheet/lasagna garden, where I laid down cardboard poked full of holes. Then I piled all my old soil on top, and added whatever organics I could come with. Its still pretty rough looking and not very big by some standards:
IMAG0006.jpg

IMAG0007.jpg

IMAG0008.jpg

That's 4 X 30 - 120 square feet. Its over on one side of the house, where there once was a scruffy section of lawn. Now its gonna grow -

Tomatoes
Beans
Peppers
Lettuces
Okra
Cucumbers
Melons
Marigolds

It gets pretty hot over there, so by midsummer a lot of my growing things will be gone. I will have peppers, cukes, and melons only by then.
The tepee looking structures are tree branches, tied into growing trellises with heavy electrical wire. The one in the middle is some little plant stand my wife had, which I re-purposed. I still have one more tepee to erect. Im working on a watering system next, something to carry water from the faucet on one end to the far end.

Flowers are grown in pots and containers in the front yard area, where Lori can see them. She really likes an eclectic mix of potted foliage and blooms; I on the other hand like an orderly, plotted out growing grid of veggies, a la Square Foot Gardening. So that is our compromise. BTW the round, standy-uppy thing by the water faucet is going to be my sundial stand.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
davaroo said:
Good for you Pat. There is nothing like a dog to show us how to live life, the way we wish we could.
Actually I don't really wish to live a life that involves *quite* that much consumption of all the other animals' poo... but otherwise, yeah :)

Well, I can say that old car tires as planters are over-rated. I know some people swear by them, but I wont do it again. Nothing really did well in them.
Me neither. I've repurposed the old tires to keep the sheep from knocking over water buckets and they are really mcuh more satisfactory for THAT purpose, or for the kids to play with.

Garden's looking promising, and room for expansion :) Have fun,

Pat

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Actually I don't really wish to live a life that involves *quite* that much consumption of all the other animals' poo... but otherwise, yeah :)
We each have our little faults now, don't we?....

Garden's looking promising, and room for expansion
It will take all season to rotate through. By the end of summer I should only have some tomatoes/peppers/cukes and winter squash coming along.
We'll see how my timing works out....

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Those are my kind of trellis' David. Nicely rustic.
Good looking garden!
And the trellises are cheap, and made from recycled yard waste - which I really like. Gardens should be about simplicity.

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Welcome back, David :frow!

Now, I remember when you took a looong break from BYC. When you arrived back there was an excuse about not having a backyard flock for some time.

You know, there can be such things as fantasy chickens and gardens . . . Isn't that kind of what these forums are all about anyway?

Steve ;)
No change - still no chickens. Its why I dont run on BYC anymore - kinda moot talking about chickens and not having them. That's one of the reasons why I was reluctant to move in here... cant have them.

But I can grow plants just about anywhere, and usually have *something* green going.

Thanks for the remember, Steve.

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi Davarooooo!
I don't "know" you like others on this forum, but I do remember your cute animated avatar! :) Looking forward to watching your garden grow with you!