A nice little coffee can bread

country lady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
This recipe came from a Seattle newspaper, Parade insert, about 1970. It also makes great toast. I haven't made it for years because I don't have a one pound coffee can. I suppose any 1# tin can would do. I did use a 13 oz. and it worked. It also froze well for me.

4 cups unsifted alll-purpose flour, divided
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup ground almonds
1/2 cup chopped raisins
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 one-pound coffee cans

Mix 2 cups flour with yeast. Stir water, milk, butter, sugar and salt over low heat until butter melts. Cool for about 5 minutes; add to flour and yeast. Add remaining flour, nuts, fruit, and eggs. Dough will be stiff. Knead on a floured board until dough is smooth and elastic and raisins are well distributed throughout. Coat the inside of each coffee can, using a small amount of oil. Divide dough in half, place one half in each can; cover cans with plastic tops. Let rise in warm place (85 deg.) until dough reaches to approximately one inch from top. Remove plastic tops; bake at 375 for about 35 minutes, or until top sounds hollow when tapped and cake tester comes out clean.

This bread can also be made using whole wheat flour for all or part of the white flour; molasses or brown sugar for the white sugar; any chopped, dried fruit in place of, or in addition to, the raisins.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi country lady :frow,

That looks really good. I love the sound of the ground almonds. :love
I think I might try it with semi-dried apricots instead of the raisins. I love that combination.
I have some great tins to substitute for the coffee cans as I occasionally buy a delicious Cypriot cigar-shaped chocolate biscuit which comes in just the right sized tins. It gives me the excuse to buy & eat some more........!!

Thank you for the recipe. :D

:rose Hattie :rose

country lady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi Hattie, back at cha!

Yes, you can make this bread with any favorite fruit. We are not crazy about raisins either, so I substituted. I especially like this as pan toast with a fried egg on top for breakfast or just a pat of butter. It's also nice to pull out of the freezer if expecting guests. I intend to make this again as soon as I get the coffee cans. I'd forgotten about this recipe until I read some of the bread recipes on this website. Thanks ladies, for the nudge! :thumbsup

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Country Lady,

I am going to try your bread recipe this weekend, although I will have to use my regular bread pans. To be honest I don't think I have seen a metal coffee can in a very long time. I always have been a Foldger's Columbian fan and so those plastic tubs are what it comes in. I really do like having all those extra tubs around. I use them for kitchen scraps. No one pays attention to a coffee tub on the kitchen counter; one day I will have to get myself a crock for kitchen scraps.

I will let you know how tasty my bread came out. Thank you for the recipe.

Ron

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am going to try this as well but used my "soaked" fruits since I do not have any regular raisens these are soaked in port wine and rum

bet it will be very good

thanks for sharing!

I bake my holiday cake in wide mouthed mason jars that works out very well they are sealed and can age well that way

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Man, I would love to do this... but my coffee comes in plastic tins now, and not the metal one's. I am sooooo not going to buy bad coffee I don't like to get the tin. You know us coffee junkies... we're PICKY!!!!

LOL

:lol:

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi there :frow

I've just thought of a possible solution to to the coffee can baking tins--- how about a new terra-cotta flower pot. Here in the UK they are often used for baking bread. You have to soak them in water first then season them slowly in the oven for a couple of hours, bringing them up to bread-baking temperature, cool them & they are ready to go. my gran used to line them with butter-wrappers because they stick a bit when they are new. As the fat gets into the clay this stops. Be sure to store them in an airy, clean area & don't use for anything else. Children love them -- especially if they have one each & they have help you make them.......!!

Have a great weekend :happy_flower

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

I thought I had better check on preparing a terra-cotta pot for baking so I asked my ever faithful laptop & this is what I got back:

http://www.abigslice.com/flowerpotbread.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also think you should read this -- for safety!:

http://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2009/03/baking-bread-in-a-flower-
pot.html
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This site gives baking times for the different sized pots.

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=522474

It is truly amazing what information is out there when you ask Google a question. It is now the first thing I do! Then I 'sleuth ' through the answers -- I often find other fascinating things out during my journeys Through the ether :D

Have fun ;)

country lady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hattie, does your newspaper carry the "Hagar the Horrible" comic strip? My left arm has a couple of canning and gardening "mishaps"--DH asked me today if I had been sacking England with Hagar the Horrible. :lol:

The flower pot is a great idea. There is a small posh lake restaurant about 25 miles from me that bakes bread in a terra-cotta pot. (Obviously, I'm not a patron since I am a simple country woman) :) Ate there once.

I buy coffee in the plastic tubs too. The bread is as sweet as the fruit put into it, but it is not as moist as a fruit cake. I'm going to try soaking the dried fruit in rum--that sounds really good, as does the holiday cake baked in a mason jar.

Ron, hope it turns out great for you. Please do let us know. I'm wondering how it will turn out in bread pans. We are making pizza in a cast iron skillet tomorrow that was featured in a Mother Earth Magazine. We really liked the last one.

FarmerDenise

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I used juice cans to bake my bread. They come out a perfect size for hamburger and sandwhiches. They get nicely seasoned as you use them over and over. And you can still get juice in real cans!!

Latest posts