A nice refreshing glass of Roundup...

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
http://fortune.com/2015/03/27/monsanto-weed-killer-roundup/

clip of an upcoming French documentary, scientist and Monsanto supporter Patrick Moore is seen telling a journalist that it’s completely safe for humans to drink large amounts of Roundup, a weed killer made by the company. When offered a glass, though, he declined, saying he was neither “stupid” nor an “idiot.”

http://time.com/3761053/monsanto-weed-killer-drink-patrick-moore/?xid=tcoshare

Patrick Moore says he leads a campaign in support of “golden rice,” a genetically modified grain that contains high amounts of vitamin A. In the interview, which Moore says he believed would focus on “golden rice,” he says the active ingredient in the herbicide, glyphosate, is not causing cancer rates in Argentina to increase.

“You can drink a whole quart of it and it won’t hurt you,” he said.

But when the reporter told him that they had prepared a glass and invited Moore to drink it, he refused, saying “I’m not stupid.”

“So, it’s dangerous?” the interviewer asked.

“It’s not dangerous to humans,” Moore replied.

He insisted that people “try to commit suicide” by drinking Roundup but “fail regularly.” Moore then walked out of the interview.

Last Friday, the World Health Organization’s cancer-research arm, the International Agency for Research on Cancer,
classified the widely used herbicide as “probably carcinogenic to humans.”

Correction: The original version of this story identified Moore as a paid lobbyist for Monsanto. In a statement published Friday, Monsanto said Moore “is not and never has been a paid lobbyist for Monsanto.”

Gotta love whoever offered the glass of Roundup! :gig

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
You do realized it is a soap? Do you drink soap? There are things that organic gardeners use routinely that no one intelligent would drink.

Now let those continue to bash. I'm done.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't know what has yer panties in a wad and no one is bashing anything here....it's just an interesting story about a controversial weed killer and this is a gardening forum, thus is appropo to the forum.

And, yes...I've drank soap before. ;) Intentionally.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I use a lot of glyphosate and will continue to do so, but I'm smart enough not to ingest any of it.
I use a lot of chicken manure also, and will continue to do so, but I'm smart enough not to ingest any of it either!!!!

THANX RICH

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I find it very interesting how some folks rant and rave (either for or against) something when they know only what aunt Martha or the local shoe salesman told them. Or, even worse, what they see and hear on the idiot box. I don't always follow my own advice but I like the phrase "If you don't know what you're talking about - sit down and shut up".

Mankind has been trying very hard to kill itself since Cain and Able so what's new?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nothing new...just interesting how they never really learn, even though they pride themselves on how educated they are.

I've never used Roundup, never really saw the need for it. I don't like the thought of what it may be doing to the honeybee colonies, though. I'm thankful that I'm not living near any large farms that uses it on a regular basis.

Just thought this was an amusing story with an Erin Brockovich feel to it! ;)

Strange how folks get so antsy over it, though. Very polarizing. :caf

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
That journalist's stunt is nothing more than a stupid publicity grab meant to prove his/her own prejudiced point of view. Everyone here uses a bit of salt in most foods on a daily basis to improve flavor or as a preservative. We also use a small amount of salt in a glass of water to gargle for medicinal use. Now try to drink a glass of concentrated salt water and see how fast you spit it up :sick or have a possibility of having health issues ! :hu Too, everyone here drinks a glass or two or three of water every day and include it in most foods to enhance flavor. Now if one drinks and eats nothing more but a few gallons of it in a day or two one could get pretty bloated and develop serous health issues. Would the journalist drink a glass of concentrated salt water or 5 gallons of pure water in a day ? :idunno Last year, I was in a hospital to remove a large kidney stone. After the surgery, they wanted to add a large amount of fluids via IV. to produce urine to flush the kidneys, then another and another ... my urinary tract was so swollen from the surgery that I didn't produce much urine at all, so within a day and a half, I became so bloated and my skin became so tight that my skin started to crack between my toes . The IV was immediately removed and I received antibiotics. Then after a few hours, I started to fill the urine bottle then another and another almost non stop. :hu Took me a week to loose the 27 lbs. :caf

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually, I think it was more of a call yer bluff kind of stunt. He's the guy that said a person could drink large amounts of it without harm and so the journalist sort of called that bluff and asked him to put his money where his mouth is, so to speak. I'm doubting the opportunity would have arisen if he hadn't made that claim in the first place.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
http://fortune.com/2015/03/27/monsanto-weed-killer-roundup/

In a preview

clip of an upcoming French documentary, scientist and Monsanto supporter Patrick Moore is seen telling a journalist that it’s completely safe for humans to drink large amounts of Roundup, a weed killer made by the company. When offered a glass, though, he declined, saying he was neither “stupid” nor an “idiot.”
http://time.com/3761053/monsanto-weed-killer-drink-patrick-moore/?xid=tcoshare

In an interview with the French television station Canal Plus, an advocate for genetically modified foods said Roundup, a weedkiller that is manufactured by chemical giant Monsanto, is safe for human consumption but refused to drink the herbicide when offered a glass by an interviewer.

Patrick Moore says he leads a campaign in support of “golden rice,” a genetically modified grain that contains high amounts of vitamin A. In the interview, which Moore says he believed would focus on “golden rice,” he says the active ingredient in the herbicide, glyphosate, is not causing cancer rates in Argentina to increase.

“You can drink a whole quart of it and it won’t hurt you,” he said.

But when the reporter told him that they had prepared a glass and invited Moore to drink it, he refused, saying “I’m not stupid.”

“So, it’s dangerous?” the interviewer asked.

“It’s not dangerous to humans,” Moore replied.

He insisted that people “try to commit suicide” by drinking Roundup but “fail regularly.” Moore then walked out of the interview.

Last Friday, the World Health Organization’s cancer-research arm, the International Agency for Research on Cancer,
classified the widely used herbicide as “probably carcinogenic to humans.”

Correction: The original version of this story identified Moore as a paid lobbyist for Monsanto. In a statement published Friday, Monsanto said Moore “is not and never has been a paid lobbyist for Monsanto.”

Gotta love whoever offered the glass of Roundup! :gig
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I somehow missed this this post while reading this thread.

Last edited: