A Question or Two For The Dog People

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Cee Cee is borderline where weight is concerned. My vet told me to disregard the 'suggested' feeding information on the package as it encourages weight gain. I was told 2 cups of dog food a day was plenty to feed my 75 lb Lab.

I have never had an overweight pet, but I've never had such a lay-a-bed as Cee Cee before. Rather than run about exploring, she is content to lay down in the shade and watch me work.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
!2 cups:ep 2x a day

That's what I said. My dogs would lay down and die with that much food per day.

My Cee Cee is borderline where weight is concerned. My vet told me to disregard the 'suggested' feeding information on the package as it encourages weight gain. I was told 2 cups of dog food a day was plenty to feed my 75 lb Lab.

I have never had an overweight pet, but I've never had such a lay-a-bed as Cee Cee before. Rather than run about exploring, she is content to lay down in the shade and watch me work.

I've had mostly Labs over the years and they seem to gain weight on air, so I only feed mine 2 c. of feed per day too. Anything above that...even a heaping scoop instead of a level one, can put on extra weight...and that's with dogs that are out and about and exercising. One thing I can't stand to see is an overweight Lab...they look like barrels with legs. :D

I upped this LGD pup up to 4 c. of feed per day while he's growing but that may get bumped down to 2-3 c. when he reaches his mature size.

Today both dogs are hugely rotund, bellies full of meat, chickens are the same. The only thing left of this deer is the front of it but they are working on that right now...I just had to go and remove some of the skin so they could get into the ribs.

I never dreamed they would eat so much of it so quickly! :thEven yet, though, they are not too bloated to breath or move, so it's okay. They were playing and wrestling per usual yesterday evening and this morning.

Gave them some old, curdled buttermilk this morning too...just some for each, but the rest went to the chickens. Good for 'em to have some fermented foods.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is an interesting site on line that grades dog food. It doesn't promote any particular kind, just tests the ingredients and verifies them. Most of the dog food commercials you see on TV are not for very high quality food.
Since Penny is pretty small, I don't have a problem feeding her a premium food, but it is one that isn't very expensive or well known. For her anal gland issues, we are striving for large stools, so the addition of the pumpkin and Glandex helps that.

I feed a grain free food to my two. I like one that had good ratings on a site I looked at. Could be the same site So Lucky was talking about. It's not a "boutique" food, just one with quality ingredients. It's priced reasonably and so is doable for me, and I've been feeding it for several years, with a slight detour when I first got Larka, but am now back to it.

Latest posts