A real heirloom

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
In my quest for unusual heirloom crops to grow I came across Spotted Aleppo, which is pre 1731:

"An ancient variety that had been grown in Aleppo, Syria for a long time prior to being introduced into Europe in the early 1700s. It was also grown in colonial America and was offered by Bernard McMahon in 1804 and many other North American seed companies until the 1870s. Spotted Aleppo is a beautiful loose headed Romaine type of lettuce with many bronze speckles."

I will say that it grows quickly, as the plant in the photo was only transplanted as a seedling eight days ago.

sa.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very attractive plant, Jack.

Doesn't it seem remarkable that there were seed companies in 1804?!

That is practically colonial.

Steve

Jacobtaylar

Sprout
Reaction score
Very good information here regarding the heirloom. This kind of infromation are going to help the new comers like me a lot and will be very much beneficial to me. Great job done here and interested to see more such a good stuff.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jackb, sorry I didn't enjoy the picture that much without Ava in it! It just seemed like well...boring lettuce? :rolleyes:
Ava could have been holding some lettuce or something to make the picture much more interesting. :lol:

Mary

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Jackb, sorry I didn't enjoy the picture that much without Ava in it! It just seemed like well...boring lettuce? :rolleyes:
Ava could have been holding some lettuce or something to make the picture much more interesting. :lol:

Mary
Gee Mary I am sorry about that. She just left, but I will see what I can do, however, she is really busy this week. She is graduating Pre-K and it is also her birthday on Father's Day.