A rose by any other name...UPDATED PIC

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I really wish I could capture the true color of this little beauty. It is the deepest red - even without the flash, my pic shows it lighter than it really is.

IMG_2360.jpg

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If it got any redder it would be black!

Wow, what is this guy's name?

Ron :throw

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow

Hi BrokeDR,

That's a beautiful rose especially if it's actually darker. I love the very dark red ones.

I have a lovely climber by my front door called Guinee & that is really dark. It also has the most glorious perfume.

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q...&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1
Next summer I will try to capture it for you.

Ron :frow
You would love this one -- I got mine from David Austin but I will try to take a cutting to grow it on it's own roots next year. I nead to give mine a really deep mulch now & again in the spring as my front garden is incredibly well-drained, being essentially one long bank.

:rose Hattie :rose

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ron, I don't know it's name. Sadly, the only ones I do remember are the ones that I have lost :/ That bud is actually from one of my mini-roses and is about the size of a dime. And it is darker, almost to the point of being black. I was very frustrated yesterday evening because it was just impossible to capture the true color.

Hattie, I will look forward to pictures of your roses in the spring. I don't understand myself but it seems this year, this FALL is like I woke up to see so much around me. I have always liked roses but it's like now I am just now actually SEEING them.

Next year will be a whole other ball game - all of my flowers will have a better fighting chance :)

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OMG ...oh wow it is a Mini!

That is so cool, because mini roses make the easiest seeds to grow! You can literally make a tiny hedge of mini's if you can get into growing them from seed!

So cool, I hope your bees do some good pollinating! :bee

Ron

My dark red is called Don Juan, a notorious climber, but mine won't climb!! So silly really! I am going to take it down well this year, perhaps about 12-18 inch canes.
66yfsi.jpg

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

Hi BrokeDR!
I know just what you mean about 'suddenly seeing' roses! As they are a symbol of England I used to like them a lot but it was only when i started to grow them that I came to "SEE" them and appreciate the different types. I started off with the floribundas etc but found them rather disappointing as they were too stiff & rather ugly when not in bloom (well to me anyway). I also didn't like the way they resented anything else growing near them & a lot of them had little or no perfume. That is why I gravitated towards the older type& grew them. Most of mine I grow as climbers, ramblers, or very large bushes but in my present garden I do have a few non-perfumed examples which I inherited when I bought the hose & hadn't got the heart to root out.

Now I have to admit to an obsession about roses -- I already had one about clematis. Just as well they grow very well together. The roses give great support to the clematis.

Next year I want to be able to show you all every one of them as they bloom in my garden, week by week. I just have to buy a new camera as mine has gone phut.......!!

Although the first frost is nearly upon us i still have roses & clematis blooming (not the huge clems but the bell-like ones. Some of those will go on through the winter & one "Freckles" will come back into bloom even after a frost. It's a real joy in January & February. :happy_flower

I have recently ordered more bare-rooted roses which should arrive before Christmas -- so exciting.

Good Luck with your plans for next year ; I look forward to seeing the results. :frow

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Ron!:frow

Strange you should mention that your "Don Juan" doesn't want to climb ; my "Guinee" is a reluctant climber too. I wonder why that is? :idunno

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh my! Hattie,

That just sounds lovely! So, we only have a few months in hopes for a new camera? I want to suggest an option.

I bet there is a local photographer (you know digital junkie) that adores flowers. You got the 'goods' and they get to come snap! ...then they share by giving you copies of everything!

One perfect way of accomplishing this without the fear of some odd folks trampling through, is to reach out to local 'Senior' Centers. Here we have a really nice center that is like a school on culture and arts and crafts, from pottery to cutting and polishing stone. Our seniors get into everything! I bet there is one with a kindly manner and a good eye for roses!

I certainly know that just saying to the Universe that you need something, and then visualizing that need filled, it seems to just happen over time. :love

I look forward to seeing your gardens!

Ron :watering

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here's a pic taken this afternoon. This color is a little closer to the true redness of it. I used my thumb to give size reference....

IMG_2374.jpg

And I had to include this pic cause it's such a pretty little bloom
IMG_2373.jpg

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Does this one have a scent?

It is so lovely, and so tiny, I sure hope you get a ton of babies from this rose.

I love how perfect the petals are! ..and the color!

I would be so tempted to wear a rose on a lapel when they are this incredible!

Ron