A tiny light at the end of the tunnel

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
As some of you know, I almost cooked about 100 tomato seedlings a few weeks ago. I forgot them for about 15 or 20 minutes in direct sunlight while I was trying to harden them off. They quickly curled their leaves and turned yellow. I'm sick over my error. They are my precious heirloom seeds. I don't have any more seeds for the most important of them. Mice got to my seeds over the winter.

Anyway, the seedlings have been in intensive care in my mud room/garden room for a couple weeks. I have kept them at 80* F and 80% RH. I have watered them with warm water carefully to not over do it.

Last night I discovered that some of the seedlings are starting to grow tiny little second tier leaves. :weee

At this rate they will be ready to move out to the garden by October. :barnie

Gedc0525-2.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smiles, I knocked the bejebbers out of my tomatoes last year by moving them from a heated greenhouse into an unheated plastic tunnel. Then, I left them overnight.

There was frost on the roofs the next morning and it was 37F in the tunnel! Some of the plants showed no damage, at all. Others wilted so badly that a few of them died!

The growing tips of the Sungolds and a few others died. I had no undamaged Sungolds so, after nursing them along for a couple of weeks, those damaged plants were transplanted out into the garden (where cold weather wrecked havoc again! But, that's another story. :rolleyes:)

A good number of the damaged plants, I gave to a friend. She claimed that they would be fine - they were her only tomato plants last year. She had LOTS of tomatoes off those plants! And the Sungolds in my own garden? They had a good season . . . :p.

Sometimes, they turn out okay despite my care, or lack of care.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yaaay Smiles! I was so bummed to read that you may lose all of your tomatoes, so I'm really, really happy for you that they're turning around! :D

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Smiles, glad you are getting new growth, bet they will be fine. I especially hope the heirloom ones come thru for you!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some folks take cuttings of their plants and allow them to grow roots thru the winter.

The following season, they set these plants out in their gardens.

S'

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
:fl they make it for you. I bet most of they will rebound quickly. I almost lost my garden to a late frost. The weather man got it really wrong. It wasn't in the mid 40's overnight...it dropped to 31 :th About half of my veggie and tomato plants show damage, but look like they will make it. Not sure about my cucumbers though. :hit

trisha

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You guys are a great inspiration. Thanks. I'll stay with them like they are my little children. I have physical limitations and what little gardening I can do really brightens my life. :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yep... I see the light for you. Don't sweat it. The healed well and looks like they will get to a normal growing rate now. Good work Dr. Smiles! :D

Latest posts