A Very Early Tomato

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's been about 50 days and the Kimberleys are ripening. I had removed all the green fruit and open flowers I could find on all of the tomatoes when I set them out ... into the cold spring.

After a few fits and starts, it warmed up. Boy, did it! Of course, all of this has been a trial for the plants - too much wind especially. That is in the open garden. The potted Kimberley and her 2 friends in the backyard are just cruising ... no ripe tomatoes on them. What's the hurry?

They are much happier in those 5 gallon pots than out in that cookin', windswept garden! Meanwhile, the garden Kimberleys are gettin' down to business and 2 tomatoes have been picked. I hope we have a little more reasonable weather so that it isn't just the 3 backyard tomatoes having a good season.

I'll soon be posting a picture of a sliced tomato on @baymule 's thread. Don't expect large size fruit from Kimberley. Well behaved and cute, maybe that defines this early variety from the mountains of British Columbia.

:) Steve
who has snacked on several Sungold cherries, too late for pictures and you probably already know what Sungold looks like ;).

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This picture is from the first time Kimberley was in my garden:
10h874k.jpg

Growing it again, I learned that the fruit on the left is atypical of the variety. The fruit shouldn't have that fluting and it shouldn't be that large (probably about 5oz). I talked to the person where I got the seeds and he didn't know why they weren't true-to-type .

I can't take a picture of the 2 current Kimberleys. DW put them in a sandwich while I was outside! I will check the plants tomorrow. There was one with a blush, yesterday.

Steve