A whole lot of ducks!

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hubby went out to "get some ducks." This is not what I expected!

8829_sam_0284.jpg

There are 24 ducklings there. I'll be needing to build a new duck house this weekend.

He also brought me these 5 Marans chicks (4 wheaten and 1 black!)
8829_sam_0286.jpg

And 10 hatching eggs (4 EE and 6 New Hampshire.) Which I don't have a picture of, because eggs aren't cute and fluffy.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
So cute! Are they going to be for processing later? Guess the marans are for eggs. You are going to really have your hands full!

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yes, quite a few of the Pekins will be processed when they get bigger. I do plan to keep about 6 hens and a drake for breeding and eggs, though. I'm hoping the Rouens are 2 hens and a drake, so that we can breed more. The Marans are indeed for eggs. I just love the dark brown color. :love

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, your hubby knows how to shop! If I sent mine to buy ducks, he would come back with two!! What fun!

bluelacedredhead

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Sooooo Precious! :cool:
And no, eggs are fluffy (unless stirred with a whisk), but I think they are beautiful. I used to love the slight variations in colour between different hens of the same breed. Got to know who laid what egg. It's an addictive hobby that's for sure. ;)

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's one thing I don't have to worry about DH doing, bringing me fowl. He leaves that to me. Although, he did originally go to the farm with me to get my first 4 muscovy ducklings. Now the mama duck gives me more than I ever could need. And she's already laid 11 new eggs. :th

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, they are even more adorable now!! The burning question in my mind... how on earth do you get them back in the tractor? Love the way they are mixing with the chickens- just wonderful all around!

Latest posts