A young tree, tipping...

Andrew

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hi all.

We have a red maple tree (about 3") in our yard that was planted angled, without any supports, last June; the tree was then poorly tethered with twine. It didn't correct anything, so I removed them rather than risk them cutting into the bark.

Is there any way to know if it will continue to grow at such a pronounced angle, or if it will correct itself?

Any advice appreciated.
thanks-

Andrew

tree.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
It might correct itself- I personally would go ahead and stake it properly for the season. Since, it looks like it is right out in front of your property... don't want a crooked tree in such a prominent position!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree, it would look better with staking. I used three metal fence posts around mine, and centered the tree in the middle of the triangle, cushioning the ropes with foam pipe insulation, the kind that look like water "noodles."

Andrew

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks all.

Since it seems this newly received tree needs so much care since being bought and planted last summer, is this something the nursery should have corrected initially?

In other words, I assume planting a tree straight, staking it correctly, and possibly delivering a correctly pruned true might be something that's expected from a nursery?

Thanks again!

Andrew

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Andrew said:
Thanks all.

Since it seems this newly received tree needs so much care since being bought and planted last summer, is this something the nursery should have corrected initially?

In other words, I assume planting a tree straight, staking it correctly, and possibly delivering a correctly pruned true might be something that's expected from a nursery?

Thanks again!

Andrew
Yes Andrew, a good nursery would have done all that, unfortunately some of them employ folks who don't know better, or don't have the nurseries good reputation at heart.

But it's not too late. The trunk near the ground looks like it's coming up straight, so it's possible that this tree was in a crowded space at the nursery and was reaching for light. At any rate you can correct it.

Drive your stake outside the root zone, ( and I don't think you'll need more than one stake since you aren't trying to stabilize the roots ) and placing it on the side opposite to the lean. Find the lowest point on the trunk that will pull the top up. You may need to do this gradually, readjusting the tie every month or so until you get it vertical. my favorite material for contact with the trunk is an old bicycle innertube. It's soft and stretchy but really strong and wont abrade the bark.

Don't keep it staked for more than a year at the maximum. It's important that trees have movement in the wind. That back and forth
action is what strengthens the trunk.

You may be able to talk the nursery into pruning it for you, they may, just to make a happy customer.

Andrew

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hi again-

so lucky - believe it or not, yes, this was planted by a nursery. One right across the street from our house...

Mama Chicken - actually, they're the ones who didn't stake it, then came back and put stakes with bare twine on the tree (and left it at its "angle").

thistlebloom - thanks for the note too. I'll be contacting them today to ask that these things are corrected.

[edit] The nursery responded immediately to say they'd remedy the situation. +1 to them!

cheers
Andrew

Latest posts