Abundance of violets??

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have been looking for ways to preserve the many violets I have this year.

There was an interesting book I got at the Library on "Flower Pounding"

Here is my first attempt at Flower Pounding.

I used watercolor paper. and I am planning to use it as a bookmark.

2122013Violetbookmarkemail_zpsb5b295ae.jpg

And then there is always the ever popular Sugared Violets.

2122013SugaredViolets_zps9d7b689a.jpg

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OMG! Sugared violets! i never thought of it, but what a great idea. I can almost taste them in my mouth...

:weee

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will have to look it up but I have a Violet Jelly recipe that makes the prettiest jelly. (If you would like it.)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh hey Rebbetzin! I have a book about hammering flowers also! I thought it was so awesome and I got all inspired but it was fall and there were no blooms to be had. :( I kind of forgot about it until I read your post. I will have to do some reading again before spring springs and make myself some prints. That hammering on flowers is right up my alley, I never took to knitting or crochet but I'm pretty good at pounding on things! :)

Does your book tell you how to scan your flower prints into the computer and then print them out on heat transfer paper? I thought that was a perfect idea for a tablecloth or napkins, or clothing.

Also the author lists my favorite flower, beebalm, as being a good candidate for hammering.

Your violets sure came out beautiful.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Oh hey Rebbetzin! I have a book about hammering flowers also! I thought it was so awesome and I got all inspired but it was fall and there were no blooms to be had. :( I kind of forgot about it until I read your post. I will have to do some reading again before spring springs and make myself some prints. That hammering on flowers is right up my alley, I never took to knitting or crochet but I'm pretty good at pounding on things! :)

Does your book tell you how to scan your flower prints into the computer and then print them out on heat transfer paper? I thought that was a perfect idea for a tablecloth or napkins, or clothing.

Also the author lists my favorite flower, beebalm, as being a good candidate for hammering.

Your violets sure came out beautiful.
I got the book at the library, and have returned it already, but it sounds like it was the same book. It is a real trial and error type of thing... I am just getting the hang of it. You have to do a single petal at a time. I use my magnifying lamp, tweezers, toothpicks and tiny scissors. I am finding, that if I put the individual petals carefully on the tape, then position the tape on the paper it works better. You have to get the tape, less sticky, by putting it on your skin, or your clothes so it will lose some of the tack. At least if you are using watercolor paper like I am. I might try it on some fabric, but, I think that would be harder since the fabric can move easier than watercolor paper.

The problem I am having is getting the center of the violet to look right.. it is a small "triangle" of orange. But, it doesn't really pound out right. So I am going to try colored pencils, I used an orange Sharpie, but.. I need something finer and less bright.

I can't wait until summer to try other flowers.!!

Latest posts