Accidental green thumb - I'm new

daisy

Sprout
Reaction score
Hey Everyone

I'm new here and pretty new to gardening. A few years ago I bought some starter plant veggies from a school fundraiser, and ended up growing a huge crazy garden outside that I barely had to work at but I loved it!

Last year I decided to try again and grew some veggies and herbs from scratch. The plants started to grow good, but I put them in my greenhouse outside too soon and they got snapped from the cold weather.

This year, I'm trying again! (I will get this right eventually...). I sowed some seeds last weekend and I've already had to transplant some of my veggies! I'm just using a plastic greenhouse with about 75 pots. My cucumber plants are already over 2" high - they were hitting the dome so I had to transplant them! Usually I'm pretty good at the growing, but then the plants start to outgrow the starter pots and I freak out! I'm in zone 5 (I think) in South-Eastern Ontario and we didn't truly have a warm summer so I'm worried about my plants not making it outside. Maybe I got too excited and started too soon.

But I'm hopeful that I'll have a successful garden even though I don't really know much about what I'm doing. I'm looking forward to learning lots here though - I think it'll be a big help for sure. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Daisy and Welcome to TEG :frow!

Somewhere in these forums, I was just bragging on the Cornell University gardening information. I'm not anywhere near as close to Cornell as you are even tho' you are in Canada.

Anyway, I find their information (including seed starting information) a lot of help and maybe you will be able to make good use of it too! Vegetable Growing Guides - Cornell U

Steve

daisy

Sprout
Reaction score
Ooo, thanks so much Steve for the link - that will definitely be a big help!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Steve know what he's talking about, so definitely check that out! I'm like you and I need to follow a guide for my Zone as well. I just have my starts going now, no where near transplant size. And I'm in a much warmer climate!

Good luck, I hope this time they go perfectly for you!

P.s. - :welcome

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

Hi there Daisy!

A big welcome to TEG !

We are here to try to help & to pass the gardening knowledge around. :D
You need to find out the average date of your last frost,locally.
It would help us to help you if you entered your State & zone in the area under your username. :)

As I live in the UK I am not an expert on your local conditions but we have a lot of members who are & I'm sure they will be along very soon.

It's good to have you with us.

:welcome

:rose Hattie :rose

Latest posts